Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > standby generator reliability

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

standby generator reliability
Original Message   Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm
I am looking at purchasing a natural gas 20k standby generator.The choices are generac,kohler,c ummins onan. Is there one that is truly more reliable than the other?And if so what makes it more reliable.
This message was modified Jan 21, 2013 by mikiewest
Replies: 11 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
FrankMA

Re: standby generator reliability
Reply #11   Mar 17, 2013 1:41 pm
Do you lose power that often and for long periods of time to justify a big stand-by system? I ask because I had looked at going that route when I finally got tired of constantly losing power for days on end but could not justify the 5 digit price tag. I ended up with a Honda EM6500SX, transfer switch and installation for well under $3K and it serves all my needs - well pump, oil furnace, fridge, stand up freezer and 90% of my other lighter load electrical requirements. I've had no problem going for several days off grid running my gen set for 12 or more hours per day. I could go all day if needed but why bother when you're not home (at work, etc...).

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
longboat

Reply #12   Mar 18, 2013 1:26 pm
Here is another option, if you have a small acreage and in the market for a lawnmower.  Lowe's sells something called a Raven (think it's only available from them), it is a hybrid gas/electric ATV with a 46" lawn mower deck, 7mph mowing, 17mph without the deck, 7kw generator.  They currently have a recall on it due to a safety switch issue, but the machine's specs look good.  Internet rumors price it at $3k.  Nice thing about it is that you're always running the generator, always has fresh gas and should always be ready to go when you need it, plus you can use your electric power tools out in the woods with it.  :)  Other nice thing is that it doesn't have a transmission, which is usually the weak link on sub-$3k mowers.

video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn7p-Mt65ZA

jimbedro

Update
Reply #13   Jul 30, 2013 8:50 pm
jimbedro wrote:
My Troybilt, 030477, 7500 watt purchased new in Oct, was dead by February. It worked for the hurricane. I ran it in Nov, & Dec.Loaned it to my stepdaughter and her husband at it was dead When they tried to use it after the blizzard. The Rotor, Stator and regulator were fried to a crisp. New parts are on back order. I suggest staying away from Troybilt units.

I just picked up my generator yesterday, 7/29/13. It was in the shop since Feb 19, 2013. The final resolution was a new replacement generator was shipped as parts are not available. I promptly returned the new unopened generator to Lowes for a refund. We had been in touch with Lowes to express our displeasure with the product and lack of parts. The quoted delivery date for the stator was Sept, 2013. If Troybilt didn't ship a replacement generator, the broken generator would have been on the shop 7 months waiting for the factory to deliver repair parts.
FrankMA

Reply #14   Jul 31, 2013 8:51 am
The Troybilt name is just one of many former reputable brand names out there that continue to dupe the public into thinking they're buying a quality product.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
snowmachine

Reply #15   Sep 15, 2013 6:53 pm
FrankMA wrote:
The Troybilt name is just one of many former reputable brand names out there that continue to dupe the public into thinking they're buying a quality product.

I hear ya... my dad still uses my grandfather's 1970 Troybilt rototiller. That is one stout piece of equipment. The carb has never been rebuilt on it either.
Replies: 11 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42