Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Older Ariens won't blow snow

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
good5buck

Older Ariens won't blow snow
Original Message   Dec 30, 2012 3:28 pm
My old Ariens snowblower (model 910995, circa 1971) started right up this year, but for some reason the snowblower itself won't engage. I can see the problem -- there's about an inch of separation between the spinning shaft at the back of the machine and the jaw clutch it's supposed to seat into. I'm wondering if anyone out there has run into this before and has any suggestions.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
grump

Re: Older Ariens won't blow snow
Reply #1   Dec 30, 2012 5:39 pm
Did you try lubricating the shaft so it'll slide under the force of the spring? 

You did flip the lever to engage the drive, right?
This message was modified Dec 30, 2012 by grump
Bill_H

Reply #2   Dec 31, 2012 11:15 pm
Take a look at this thread: http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/24524-0-1.html
Trouts even provided a link to the manual.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
trouts2

Reply #3   Jan 1, 2013 8:00 am

Grump: “You did flip the lever to engage the drive, right?”

I think Grump got this one.  The description should have been something like, “When I flip the lever back and forth the clutch jaw does not move”.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PRM-10000.pdf

On page 12, the lever (32) should move out the clutch fork (39) which will push the clutch jaw (42) on the bucket into the clutch coupling (page 11, 116) on the tractor drive.

If that isn’t happening then the parts might be frozen but then you would not be able to flip the lever.   If you flipped the lever and the jaw did not get pushed out then one of the two roll pins (34,40) or cotter pin (38) is probably broken. 

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42