Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Are tracks THAT much harder to manuver - HS goodies- HS621 replacemment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mobiledynamics

Are tracks THAT much harder to manuver - HS goodies- HS621 replacemment
Original Message   Nov 13, 2012 8:57 am
My current primary residence is fine with a single stager except for the EOD.
As of late, the wet snow we get, sometimes becomes a chore for my HS621.
Or it's more constant chopping, running the auger, breaking up the stuff in the chute, run auger, rinse and repeat

I did have a 724 but sold it - mainly just due to lack of space.
There have been times that I wish I had the 724 and there have also been times where I was smiling DANCING with the HS 621.

I DONT have space for both.

There is a screaming deal on a 724 with Tracks.
You know how it goes. Want versus reality.
I dunno if I'll be have buyers remorse and end up selling the 724TA down the road again...
Replies: 11 - 20 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
epremack

Re: Are tracks THAT much harder to manuver - HS goodies- HS621 replacemment
Reply #11   Nov 13, 2012 7:45 pm
My Honda HS928 with tracks is a bit difficult to maneuver when its not moving, so I bought a small $20 dolly (board with four wheels) and slide it under the tracks when I need to maneuver it into its narrow storage space in the garage. 

While using the machine to blow snow, I find it's plenty easy to maneuver while it's moving.  I simply need to think a few feet ahead and steer accordingly.  If I blow it, the hydrostatic transmission on the Honda allows me to back-up easily and correct.

Where I live, we measure snow by the foot, not by the inch, and my driveway is steep.  Tracks are essential for me.  If you need tracks, or can make frequent use of their advantages over wheels, I wouldn't be deterred by the steering concerns. 
hcbph1

Reply #12   Nov 14, 2012 11:55 am
I've used tracked blowers before, had problems with rusting in the drive during off-season.  All my machines are wheeled with chains.  Where I live the city plows over the sidewalks and alley so it's hard to get in and out.  I have a few machines right now including a 10 hp 26" and 10 hp 32" I've refurbished.  I can pretty much throw back anything the city piles on my walk or drive.

Makes you feel like Tim Taylor - "More Power"!

This message was modified Nov 14, 2012 by hcbph1
mobiledynamics

Reply #13   Nov 14, 2012 12:28 pm
hcbph1 wrote:
" I can pretty much throw back anything the city piles on my walk or drive."!

Throw back to a degree. Either you are throwing it to a *mound* that can be a mound and or just spreading it on the blacktop in the street so that cars can still safely pass.
I'm not looking to create a snow speed bump right in front of my place....and the rest of the blacktop around me  is fairly clean after a plow.

I've got one neighbor who want's to be courteous so he lugs all that EOD and shovels it and walks 15 feet and dumps it onto a mound on his property.
I just chuck it out in small qtys and let the sun, salt and blacktop do the work
aa335

Reply #14   Nov 14, 2012 12:49 pm
I try to minimize snow from the street deposited on my lawn.  It is loaded with salt that isn't so good for the grass.

During the winter when its cold that the snow won't melt, I will pile up the snow along the curb.  As soon as it warms up, I break down the wall with a shovel and let some of the snow fall back into the street.  As it melts, the water goes down to the city storm drain, not on my lawn. 
This message was modified Nov 14, 2012 by aa335
hcbph1

Reply #15   Nov 14, 2012 3:51 pm
mobiledynamics wrote:
Throw back to a degree. Either you are throwing it to a *mound* that can be a mound and or just spreading it on the blacktop in the street so that cars can still safely pass.

Out front where the city plows it onto the sidewalk, I cut a hole and blow that back onto the pile downstream from where I cut the hole.  Out back, I throw it on the back end of a parking spot by my garage behind where I park my truck.  Last year wasn't bad at all but in 2010 that got to be over 6' tall.

I definitely don't blow it onto the lawn if at all possible, and the city has fined people for blowing it back into the street so don't do that either.

mobiledynamics

Reply #16   Nov 14, 2012 5:36 pm
Pulleys, yadda, they are NOT up my forte. Not looking to do *homework* on how to hodgepodge a clone to mate.

If I was to get this 724 - how hard or not is it to repower it with a 9 or 13HP clone...

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/61797-0-1.html

I like the 24" Width bucket....just want more power.
raysmd

Reply #17   Nov 16, 2012 10:53 am
I hope some one here picked up the hs724 that was on eBay for around $900. Looked like it was in good condition. I would've bought it if I didn't have the 928 on the way. Item# 230881821676
mobiledynamics

Reply #18   Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm
The only merits I like on the HS is the Bucket Width, and Hydro.
I think if I was to end up buying another, I would probably errr on repowering to 9 +.
aa335

Reply #19   Nov 16, 2012 3:27 pm
mobiledynamics wrote:
The only merits I like on the HS is the Bucket Width, and Hydro.
I think if I was to end up buying another, I would probably errr on repowering to 9 +.

Good luck on your quest.  If you did repower the HS724 with a more powerful engine, make sure you keep the original engine around.  If you ever sell it, it's worth more with a genuine GX engine instead of a Honda clone.

I myself wouldn't muck with the HS724.  It is quite a tidy and compact package. I rather step up to the HS928 and be done with it.
mobiledynamics

Reply #20   Nov 16, 2012 7:31 pm
Mods never resell well. I flipped a set of 8K wheels + another K plus in tar for a whopping 900 on Ebay.

28+ Width - More HP seems to be the market, so manuf. make them accordingly.
I wish there was more of a selection on the 24" with HP......
I could easily by one without any qualm
Replies: 11 - 20 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42