Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for advice - Chainsaws

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
wrecked

Never leave fish to find fish

Looking for advice - Chainsaws
Original Message   Jan 30, 2005 6:39 pm
I know this is neither the season nor the OPE that comes to mind in the dead of winter but I am looking for advice on the purchase of my first chainsaw. Giving the thoroughness of the reviews of snowblowers, I believe the same expertise is there for other OPE's such as chainsaws. Looking for a chainsaw for home use that includes managing timber on my property and maintaining an adequate supply of firewood. No problem splitting the wood with a wedge and sledge. I understand Stihl is outsatnding quality and friends recommend that I get a 20 inch bade. I would expect to use the saw 2-4 times/year. Beyond that I'm looking to see what other say with respect to size, manufactures, model numbers, etc. Thanks in advance. Chris

OPE:John Deere 180 w/plow,Toro 724, Redmax EB6200, Craftsman 2400 psi PW, 24 Grady w/Mariner 200 Offshore
Replies: 27 - 31 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mason156

Re: Looking for advice - Chainsaws
Reply #27   Feb 7, 2005 6:41 am
People have recommended some excellent saws, but many of these saws are in the $350-$400 range.   If  money is not a serious issue, this may be a great way to go.  If  money is an issue, it seems like saws at the $200-$250 range make more sense for the amount you're going to use it.  Also,  if you have a good dealer, they are a real asset and they may even guide you toward a brand of saw.  My experience has been that a good fraction of dealers in my area are not really much of a resource and they end up charging you for an extra level of "service" that they fail to provide.  Be careful in evaluating the dealer and listening to their advice.

I ended up at a good dealer and bought a $400 saw - so I am not saying that  it's a bad way to go.  But I heat with wood and did not mind spending the money.  Your needs may be different.  Regardless, I recommend including Kevlar chaps and a helmet in your chainsaw budget.   They're not fool-proof, but they are at least fool-resistant.

Steve

PS - I started with a $100 poulan special, and while I never use it anymore because it has no safety features, it still runs fine and cut a lot of wood in its day.   I would not recommend the super-low-cost saw market, because its a gamble, but it is not like every cheap saw fails and every pricey saw is trouble-free.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #28   Feb 7, 2005 8:42 pm
if you are on a budget  then heres the best i can suggest.

buy a small professional saw .you can get one for  around 200 to 300 range.it wont be super powerfull but it will be reliable .and if you learn how to file it it should be around for as long as you care to use.

nothing will send you back to the garage faster than a cheep saw that wont start or runs poorly .

do a little more homework and find out whats available in your area.

it dosent matter where you buy it although i prefer th real dealer.what matters is can you buy a chain or sparkplug on a saturday afternoon that actually fits it.

you know the drill the wife is on your case to finish up that bit of firewood or maybe tidy up that tree that got smashed up in the last icestorm.you go for thesaw and woops the chain is past its prime ,you need a new one .

just make sure its not some oddball that nobody stocks.

you would be suprised at howmany people come in and have no idea what kind of saw they have let alone chain fits it.

dont even bother coming in and saying its a red 20 inch blade. thats narrows it down to about oh 6 possible chains and only one will fit.

im not saying you have to go out and buy all kinds of spare chains ,if your like me you couldnt find it when you need it anyway cause you put it where you wont loose it ...yea right .i might as well toss it out the windo on the way home  cause ill never find it till after a buy a new one.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
robmints

Reply #29   Feb 7, 2005 9:14 pm
snowshoveler wrote:
im not saying you have to go out and buy all kinds of spare chains ,if your like me you couldnt find it when you need it anyway cause you put it where you wont loose it ...yea right .i might as well toss it out the windo on the way home  cause ill never find it till after a buy a new one.

later chris 

Chris,

Do what I do. Just leave it in the back of the truck, with everything else.

You stiil won't be able to find it. But you will know where it is. If and when you do find it, you won't remember what it fits, but it must be good or it wouldn't be in the truck. Better save it.
death2spam

Reply #30   Nov 10, 2005 11:03 am
For the record, Jonsered is made by Husky, but is the lower end of their consumer grade saws. The longevity and robustness of the engines are not he same, which of course is reflected in the price. Also, alot of consumer chainsaws come with rather amitious bar lengths. EG: My Craftsman 42cc (a 42cc Craftsman is no where close in power or torque to a pro grade 35-45cc) came with an 18" bar and an "ok" chain. By dropping to a 15" bar and a better grade chain dramatically improves performance. This is information given to me by our Local Authorized Stihl/Husky/Jonsered dealer. Instead of trying to sell me the New farm Boss wich I coveted or a Husky XPR, they offered to "upgrade" my Craftsman...now that's service.
toolpig

Reply #31   Nov 12, 2005 6:59 am
Hi guys, I'm new here but I'm not at all new to the firewood game.

I've ran husky pretty well exclusively but it doesn't make it the best . I would however have to agree with everyone's advice as to buying from a dealer. Dealers usually will take care of you if something goes wrong with your saw, you may have to wait a while for a box store to help you if you need it.

For firewood I use a Huqvarna 365special with a 20 in bar. Its heavier than most saws and has a 65cc engine that has a max rev of 12500rpm .Yeah it's not as fast as some saws (XP models) but it has lots of torque for bulling through big hardwood. It is also very reliable.

If you have a small woodlot to maintain a Husqvarna 357XP is a lovely saw to work with , as well as a Stihl 38.

Ariens 11528 snowthrower, Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor, Craftsman 5hp lawn mower, Craftsman 4.25hp pressure washer, Stihl BG55 leaf blower and vac, Stihl SH26 string trimmer, Husqvarna 365 special Chainsaw, Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw.
Replies: 27 - 31 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42