Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > need a new leaf blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kellyinkc

need a new leaf blower
Original Message   Apr 23, 2012 7:00 pm
hey all,
my trusty 12 year old Homelite Bandit 2000 broke its starter rope. After taking it apart I found other questionable parts. Then when I priced the parts i was at $70 plus shipping.
at that point I decided to get a new one. I have decided on a Stihl. The question is the BG86 really that much better than the BG55.
Then the easy2start feature is it worth it?
Replies: 2 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
FrankMA

Re: need a new leaf blower
Reply #2   Apr 24, 2012 6:36 pm
I have a Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower and love it. I ended up spending about $100.00 more than I had anticipated spending but do not have any regrets, especially during peak leaf clearing season. I realize it's not the same animal as a hand held but Stihl 2 strokes perform and sound awesome. I would highly recommend that you consider upgrading to a model that has ergonomic and comfort features like aa335 said in his post. You will only feel the sting of a few extra dollars at the point of purchase but will never forget not spending those few extra dollars for the upgrades every time you use it....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
kellyinkc

Reply #3   Apr 24, 2012 8:28 pm
yes. I have decided on the BG86 for the anti vibration. its also Stihl Dealer Days so maybe a deal too.
I have debated the backpack blower and decided its not for my sitsuation
Thanks for the input. This will be my first Stihl!
Bill_H

Reply #4   Apr 24, 2012 8:35 pm
+1 on a backpack blower. Had mine for ~6 years and I'll never use anything else. It's definitely worth it to go for a commercial grade model if you have a decent amount of leaves to move. Edit: looks like I was too late :)
This message was modified Apr 24, 2012 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
kellyinkc

Reply #5   Apr 24, 2012 8:51 pm
i can take another look at one though. might not get the price past the wife.....
You all ever try the MotoMix fuel? kinda tempting with e15 coming.
aa335

Reply #6   Apr 25, 2012 12:27 am
+1 on recommendations from others on a backpack blower. 

I have my BG86 for about 4 years now.  It is just about right for the job I'm using it for, basically to clean up grass clippings and debris around the driveway and sidewalks.  I don't have many big trees with lots of leaves in the fall.  However, my arm and wrist get very tiring after 15 minutes of use.  A handheld blower has a gyroscopic effect from the spinning fan and engine, the torque generated by the air nozzle, and the weight of the blower itself, makes it very uncomfortable for extended use.  This is where a backpack blower starting to make a lot of sense.  It is a huge difference in operator comfort.

You may want to check out the Stihl BR200 backpack blower.  It is about $279.  This BR200 seems to be just the right fit.  I've been thinking getting this one since it came out.  I like the idea of a backpack blower, but I don't need a heavy commercial grade and expensive blower. 
This message was modified Apr 25, 2012 by aa335
kellyinkc

Reply #7   Apr 27, 2012 9:12 am
think I will take another look at the backpack, hopefully I will have the new toy this weekend.
kellyinkc

Reply #8   May 3, 2012 6:37 am
update,
got the BG 86. WOW, that thing cranks up and blows. Much better than the Homelite! Thanks for the advice.
Replies: 2 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42