Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Troy-Bilt Pony rebuild

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Troy-Bilt Pony rebuild
Original Message   Mar 27, 2012 9:41 am
   Picked up a nice condition 1989 Troy-Bilt Pony with a broken rod for $200.  The rod break was multiple pieces so did not flail around inside breaking the block or other parts.  There was no rod melt on the crank journal so possibly a fatigue break rather than low oil.   Put in a rod, rings and gave it a valve job.  Compression is 120 warm after about 20 minutes or run time.  I was hoping for 140.    Gave it an oil change and probably give it another after an hour. 

Comparing this to the front tines I've had (1 MTD 3hp, Ariens Jet 4hp and Jet 5hp).   The front tines are fine.  Doing beds go very quickly and with the front tine you can work out bigger rocks with all the handlebar control availabe with a front tine.  I don't think rocks will be so easy to dig out with a rear tine.  For just doing down a row the rear tine is much easier with the wheel drive which makes it effortless.  The tines spin much faster than the front tines I've had.  They pulverize the soil much better and leave it fluffed up and airy.  The back plate actualy smooths out the soil which was a surprise so the bed ends up being fairly flat and smooth.  All in all a nice rig so I've sold off my front tines. 

This message was modified Mar 27, 2012 by trouts2
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
carlb

Re: Troy-Bilt Pony rebuild
Reply #1   Mar 27, 2012 10:05 am
I traded an old 60's era Ariens snow blower last fall for a Honda FRC800 rear tine tiller which was in great shape except for the sun faded paint (looked more pink than red).  The wheel driven rear tine tillers do a much better job of tilling the soil to a nice light texture, the hinged back plate makes a nice smooth path behind the tiller, most times gone down deeper than front or mid tine tillers and as you said effortless to use.  The only issue with the Honda is it is very heavy which makes turning it a little difficult but if you have a large garden the rear tines are the way to go.
friiy

Re: Troy-Bilt Pony rebuild
Reply #2   Mar 28, 2012 7:37 pm
Sweet!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42