Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Briggs recoil clutch removal

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Briggs recoil clutch removal
Original Message   Mar 13, 2012 8:17 pm
   Picked up a nice Tory-Bilt Pony with a bum engine, broken rod.   I have a 7 hp Tecumseh (black paint) that would bolt on and work but the Briggs is in such nice condition with great paint I'd like to salvage it.   I'm a bit puzzled by the recoil clutch in the bottom photo.   How do those come off.  There's not enough room to wedge a screwdriver at the flywheel/clutch joint and I've already broken a small section of the clutch housing in back. 

I wedged a few pickel forks in back of the flywheel and tapped them in a bit but the flywheel is not moving.  There's no rust on this thing and all the bolts and drive pulleys have come of easily.  I'm not sure if I should be using the methods or force I'd usually use with a Tecumseh.   Does the clutch just bang out from behind before trying to remove the flywheel?  The parts view seems to show it just fit on the shaft with no key and there's no allen screw on it.  Anyone pulled a flywheel on one like this before? 

Will these take a megafire ok?

Any trick to getting the $#%* back into the clutch housing, use grease to hold them in?? 

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42