Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > The Perfect Gas Can?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
daniel

The Perfect Gas Can?
Original Message   Mar 7, 2012 10:19 am
After snapping off the spring loaded spouts on all my current el cheapo gas cans, I have been looking around a good bit for a decent one.  I think I have settled on the Eagle Type II series:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQO15I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

but it is crazy expensive, I have a hard time coughing up $67 for a gas can.  Has anyone found any good alternatives that they have been very pleased with?  If not I think I will go with this one.  I also saw that sportsman's guide just came out with some pretty cheap metal jerry cans, but finding a non-problematic spout would still be a problem for me.

Thanks a lot,

Dan

This message was modified Mar 7, 2012 by daniel

Toro 826 OXE Snowblower, Echo PB-500 backpack blower, Toro 22" high wheel recycler mower, Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 6 spd :)
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RedOctobyr

Re: The Perfect Gas Can?
Reply #3   Mar 7, 2012 12:53 pm
I have a  several-year-old 5 gallon EPA gas can (would have to check the brand) that I don't really mind. But that's for using it to fill the lawn tractor and snowblower, both of which have solidly-mounted tanks. So I can let it push (fairly hard) against the edge of the tank opening, to open the spring-loaded nozzle.

I still have some smaller, pre-EPA 1 & 2.5 gallon cans which I use for my 2-stroke machines. At least there I don't need to try and hold the weedwhacker with one hand, while trying to push hard enough with the can to open the spring-loaded seal.
Greg13

Reply #4   Mar 7, 2012 10:31 pm
Once again, Thanks to the people from California for screwing it up for the other 49 states. If I remember correctly weren't they the same ones that started the mess with Automotive emissions? Remember how simple cars USED to be to work on? You opened the hood and could actually see the engine!!
This message was modified Mar 7, 2012 by Greg13
Loblolly77

Reply #5   Mar 8, 2012 9:20 am
BY FAR, the best cas can period, I have 5 and they have never broken in any way and are very easy to use, no pushing the dang filler down on the fuel tank to make it work!

http://www.nospill.com/

aa335

Reply #6   Mar 8, 2012 10:17 am
Loblolly77 wrote:
BY FAR, the best cas can period, I have 5 and they have never broken in any way and are very easy to use, no pushing the dang filler down on the fuel tank to make it work!

I have this one.  No spill feature became spill at will.  Cap was very difficult to take off with that locking tab.

With that said, it's the best plastic gas can so far that doesn't cost $60 or more.  Still not perfect though.
This message was modified Mar 8, 2012 by aa335
daniel

Reply #7   Mar 8, 2012 12:59 pm
Loblolly77 wrote:

Ah, that looks pretty good, not sure why I did not come across it.  I think I will go with the eagle for the 5 gallon, and maybe a nospill for a gallon of 2 cycle mix. 

Thanks a lot everyone,

Dan

Toro 826 OXE Snowblower, Echo PB-500 backpack blower, Toro 22" high wheel recycler mower, Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 6 spd :)
Bill_H

Reply #8   Mar 8, 2012 10:04 pm
I managed to score three 2 gallon plastic cans when the ban on them went into effect; I now have 4 so I think I'm OK. But if I ever need another I'll go with the metal one, be it Eagle or an equivalent. They are OSHA compliant, which "overrides" EPA regulations (never thought I'd be glad for OSHA). So until such time as the EPA gets their way - and rules the entire world - that's the best bet for a good can.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
longboat

Reply #9   Mar 9, 2012 9:13 am
From what I've read elsewhere, some of the best cans are "racing" cans.  They are sold for use in sanctioned sporting events, so are therefore exempt from some of the silliness.  They are made to pour a lot of gas very fast (filling up a race car tank, obviously).  They are expensive, but no leaks, no spilling while fumbling with valved spouts, etc.

I've also heard of folks taking the existing silly cans and drilling a large screw into the poly.  Remove the screw to have a vent hole while refueling so you don't get gas splashing all over, then replace the screw when done refueling.  You can also just drill a hole if you're careful not to get any plastic shavings in the tank, then cork it - best to do on a new tank so you can wash it out.

You could really bend the rules and get cans made for other fuels (e.g. - green cans;diesel), as long as no one else has access to your fuel...

Does Canada still have the good gas cans?

oakville

Reply #10   Mar 9, 2012 3:33 pm
Canadian cans now vent through the spout, but do not require pushing up against anything to operate.
This message was modified Mar 9, 2012 by oakville
blomberg91

Reply #11   Mar 10, 2012 1:30 pm
I've spilled more gas with the cans that vent out of the spout than any other gas container, including all the vintage (and perfect working) containers that preceded them. Then they came up with the nozzle shut in, but for filling weedeaters and chainsaws it would help if I was an octopus to keep everything stable when filling. Not sure what engineers came up with these designs but they must have contracted someone to do all their yard work.

Thanks to everyone for finding suppliers to some new and vintage styles. Will definitely be checking into them.

This message was modified Mar 10, 2012 by blomberg91
longboat

Reply #12   Mar 12, 2012 10:37 am
I do have a 2-gallon can that vents through the spout (no valves), and it works OK.  I usually end up taking the spout off of my 5-gallon can and pouring the gas into the 2-gallon can, then use the smaller can to refuel my OPE.  Works good except for the lawn tractor that has a larger fuel tank...   I'll be trying the screw trick on my 5-gallon can.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42