Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2005 Toro PowerMax 826LE (38620) changing speed problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
maverick02

2005 Toro PowerMax 826LE (38620) changing speed problem
Original Message   Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm
Hi. I have a 2005 Toro PowerMax 826LE (38620) snow blower and it has become very difficult to shift the snow blower into a new speed. The knob fights me when I try to move it and it takes several times of going back and forth with it to get it into the new speed setting. Even when I am sometimes able to force it into the new speed setting, the machine doesn't accept it and I have to move back into the old speed and try again. There just seems to be a lot of tension whenever I try to move shifter knob in any direction and I am not sure where I should begin to fix this. Thanks!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
trouts2

Re: 2005 Toro PowerMax 826LE (38620) changing speed problem
Reply #1   Jan 23, 2012 5:00 pm

It could be something in the under dash assembly but chances are higher that the problem is in the tractor section.

You can tip it up on it’s bucket so the handles are up in the air.  Put a towel or something to protect the paint edges. 

Unbolt the bottom cover and look around in there.  If someone is available have them move the shifter while you look at the parts.

The friction disk, part with a rubber edge, moves right and left.  It gets driven by the aluminum drive plate in back. 

The handlebar clutch lever makes the friction disk meet the drive plate.

If the friction disk is always touching the drive plate shifting will be very hard.

If grease on the hex shaft the friction disk rides on has picked friction disk dust or the grease hardened that could cause hard shifting.

If the shaft mounting bearings are worn causing slop that can make shifting hard.

You should be able to rotate the wheels with the clutch disengaged.  Tape down the clutch and the friction disk should press against its drive plate making the wheels very difficult or impossible to rotate. 

You should be able to rotate the friction disk by hand when the clutch is not engaged.

Look around in there and play with the shifter and the problem should show itself.  If you have a gas tank shutoff close it before you tip up the machine.  You might get some car leakage when you tip it up which happens on some models.

carlb

Re: 2005 Toro PowerMax 826LE (38620) changing speed problem
Reply #2   Jan 23, 2012 5:33 pm
I've seen grease on the hex shaft harden up on quite a few machines and its almost impossible to move the shift lever on some of those machines.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42