Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Anyone ever modified an auger pulley bracket?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mctwist

Anyone ever modified an auger pulley bracket?
Original Message   Jan 10, 2012 9:41 pm
Hi all, I bought a new Craftsman snowblower last year, and unfortunately it is not performing like I think/hoped it should. After reading a bit on this site, I decided on installing a Clarence kit.

Although I saw an improvement, I still felt something was off. It is throwing powdery stuff up to my expectations, it's the more heavy stuff I have problems with. After reading some more, I began to question wether the auger belt was loose. Keep in mind the snowblower at this point as been used maybe 10 times. So I pop the belt cover, and sure enough, the belt is loose, and can be moved easily with the auger engaged.

Unfortunately, the idler pulley is non-adjustable. Anyone ever attempted to modify the bracket to make it adjustable? Seems to me it would just require being drilled?

Any thoughts?

This message was modified Jan 10, 2012 by mctwist
Replies: 13 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mctwist

Re: Anyone ever modified an auger pulley bracket?
Reply #13   Jan 12, 2012 8:55 pm
carlb wrote:
I agree with the smaller belt if you can't find a way to make the proper adjustments.  I suspect 1/2" would do it.

That's another option if all else fails.

I remember seeing on this site a reference list for different sized belts, but can't seem to find it. Anyone can direct me?

carlb

Re: Anyone ever modified an auger pulley bracket?
Reply #14   Jan 13, 2012 10:39 am
mctwist wrote:
That's another option if all else fails.

I remember seeing on this site a reference list for different sized belts, but can't seem to find it. Anyone can direct me?

I have bought belts from these people and their prices are good and the belts seem to work well.  I would only use Kevlar belts on a snow blower.

There shipping is a little high, so if you purchase a few belts it helps.

http://www.vbelts4less.com/Kevlar-K-Plus-V-Belts_c_20.html
Replies: 13 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42