Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I'm looking to buy a genarator for at least 20 amps

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

I'm looking to buy a genarator for at least 20 amps
Original Message   Dec 21, 2011 3:05 pm
When disaster strikes, my deep freezer goes down. Is were can a find a discotion about genarators? Thanks.

Toro 1028 OXE
Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
carlb

Re: I'm looking to buy a genarator for at least 20 amps
Reply #9   Jan 16, 2012 2:27 pm
Is that one of those plastic carbs.   I had to do some work on my Brother in laws generator that had an 11hp briggs on it and it surged very badly most of the time and need 1/2 choke to run correctly.  It was really strange because it didn't do it all the time.  You could start it up and run it and it was fine, turn it off and 2 hours it was surging when you ran it.   It had the plastic carb with the clip on the float bowl. 

I opened it up and cleaned everything very well but it still did it.  I told him to run it at 1/2 choke when it acted up as he did  not want to spend the money for a new carb.
RedOctobyr

Reply #10   Jan 16, 2012 3:29 pm
I am pretty sure the carb is metal, going from memory, and pics of the carb when I've been looking online for rebuild kits. It's a Generac-built engine (well, maybe actually built by someone else, but pretty sure it's not a Briggs), for reference. It's an older unit, ~2000 or so, I believe. The carb is ~$65, so I don't want to just try replacing it. I'm OK with running it with partial choke for now, but I'd feel better if I didn't need to do that.
aa335

Reply #11   Jan 17, 2012 10:13 am
bus708 wrote:
Why do you want to spend big bucks on a generator? Make one your self. 1. Go to a thrift store and get an old 3 hp engine. Make sure it runs good- it doesn't matter Horizontal or vertical engine. 2. Go to your local junkyard and get a car alt with built in voltage regulator, and a car battery 3. Go on line and get a 6000 watt inverter. 4. Make a mount for your engine and alt, then pulley them together. Google home made generator for more details. I built a sound cover for mine. It is as quiet as a Honda generator

That's a lot of parts of unknown condition and reliability.  Seems like increased probability of things going wrong when you really need the power.  If this homemade generator is a back up unit of the main generator, that's fine.  From the description of all the components, the overall size is going to be 3 to 4 times the size of a generator of equal wattage, just thinking out loud.

Do you have a picture of your homemade generator?
This message was modified Jan 17, 2012 by aa335
carlb

Reply #12   Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am
I must admit to running a homebrew backup generator.  My backup generator is based on single cylinder 6hp diesel engine that was designed in England 1929. This engine has two huge flywheels each weighing 150 lbs and was originally designed as a hand crank start. the engine weighs about 600 lbs and belt drives a large (250lb) 4 pole 1800 rpm 4kw gen head  The engine and generator are mounted to a very large I beam frame which weighs about 275 lbs by itself

The engine runs along at a nice slow speed 650 rpm and just kinda of lopes along.  no screaming 3600 rpm. 
My generator is currently setup to run on 85% natural gas and 15% diesel.

My generator is connected to a manual transfer switch which powers 20 circuits in my home.  During a power outage I start the generator and just flip the transfer switch to gen and we again have power in the house.
RedOctobyr

Reply #13   Jan 17, 2012 11:24 am
Wow.... I would love to see that.

Do you have it geared up by the belts, so your 650 RPM on the engine gives you the 1800 RPM on the gen head? What do you mean, it's set up to run 85% natural gas, 15% diesel? Those two fuels sound so incongruous (at least to me) that it almost feels like you're pulling my leg. A gas and an oil, together? 1,000 lbs, and 4kw? Wow, you may win the lowest watt/lb award Sure would be nice and quiet, though (at least by comparison) spinning that slowly. Mine is pretty loud, roaring along at 3600.

I think it would be cool to take a big (~20+ hp) engine, maybe off something like a lawn tractor, run it down at 1800 RPM, and use it to spin either an 1800 RPM head, or alter the belt ratios and use a 3600 RPM head. The engine would be making much less than its rated power, but it would also be a lot quieter. A diesel is the obvious way to do that, but diesel engines are less common and more expensive, it seems.

Is yours one of the big Lister (?) setups I've heard about? Or something else altogether?
carlb

Reply #14   Jan 17, 2012 12:23 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:
Wow.... I would love to see that.

Do you have it geared up by the belts, so your 650 RPM on the engine gives you the 1800 RPM on the gen head? What do you mean, it's set up to run 85% natural gas, 15% diesel? Those two fuels sound so incongruous (at least to me) that it almost feels like you're pulling my leg. A gas and an oil, together? 1,000 lbs, and 4kw? Wow, you may win the lowest watt/lb award Sure would be nice and quiet, though (at least by comparison) spinning that slowly. Mine is pretty loud, roaring along at 3600.

I think it would be cool to take a big (~20+ hp) engine, maybe off something like a lawn tractor, run it down at 1800 RPM, and use it to spin either an 1800 RPM head, or alter the belt ratios and use a 3600 RPM head. The engine would be making much less than its rated power, but it would also be a lot quieter. A diesel is the obvious way to do that, but diesel engines are less common and more expensive, it seems.

Is yours one of the big Lister (?) setups I've heard about? Or something else altogether?
Here are a couple of links to my Lister setup.  The belt on the 24" flywheel  powers a 8.7" pulley on the generator for a 2.76:1 ratio or about 1800rpm at 650rpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGjlHNX-68&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwPPui8Fyi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2zUvQIIuY
RedOctobyr

Reply #15   Jan 18, 2012 7:10 pm
Are those your videos, carlb? They are very, very cool. That is a great setup. Things that I loved:

- Big exhaust setup with expansion tank and automotive muffler, vented out through a wall (at least in one of the videos).
- Radiator plumbed in, with an overflow tank.
- Exposed pushrods (!)
- The air starter is fantastic. Air powers both the motor and the cylinder to automatically bring it in contact with the belt. Brilliant.
- Wild dual-fuel setup (again, in at least one video), with an electric valve for the natural gas, which is powered by the generator itself. Any loss of power means the gas valve closes automatically.
- Seems quiet. Certainlyl low RPM. Will probably run forever, from a durability standpoint.

As I was watching some of the videos, I kept thinking of Rube Goldberg. That typically has negative connotations, and I don't mean it like it that at all. I mean it as a compliment, because the narrator kept showing additional features, tweaks that were made, valves for this and that. The list appeared to just keep going. This was not a drop-it-in-and-go setup, it would appear. A lot of time has been spent to tweak & optimize, and tie it into the house and utilities. I assume that the dual-fuel setup would let you practically run indefinitely as long as you have natural gas. Even if the gas supply goes out, I'd expect this is pretty fuel efficient.

Can you start it by hand somehow? If the flywheels are 250 lbs, I expect you can't simply grab their spokes and give them a flick. I could see something going around on the inside of the flywheels, where the spokes meet the outer wheels. As if the ends of the spokes are not all the same size or something (there's also a white thing going around with the flywheels, maybe that's it). Is there something like a balance weight on there?

The biggest downside I can see may be that now I want one If your power goes out frequently, and you have the space, that must be great to have ready for action. Fantastic work on getting that all sorted out!
carlb

Reply #16   Jan 18, 2012 8:20 pm
yes that is my setup and i am the one narrating the video's as i took them.  There were a number of refinements since the early video with the exhaust going out through the roof.  There is a balance weight on the flywheel and that is what you see.  There is a hand crank that slips over the end of the crankshaft to hand start the engine.  It has a manual decompressor so that you can crank it up to speed remove the handle and disengage the compression release. 

at at 3kw load it only uses a quart  of fuel per hour running on diesel. Running natural gas and diesel just about 6 oz of diesel per hour.   It can run for many days on the 2 gallon tank.

The pushrods need to be oiled about every 10 hours or so of running (just a little squirt)

This setup was built from pieces the engine and generator were sourced from a guy up in main.  The frame  I built using 1 beam and some large timbers.

It was a fun build and it should last a lifetime.   Very slow speed huge crank shaft, a connecting rod as big as your lower arm and almost as long.  The piston and rod weigh over 8 lbs.

Ps.  About wanting one.  These are getting hard to find in the states because the EPA has banned import of these engines but some are still to be had.  Here is a link to one of the sites that i belong to that deals with a lot of these engines.   Look under the listeroid/perteroid section for this type engine.

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php

Carl
This message was modified Jan 18, 2012 by carlb
aa335

Reply #17   Jan 19, 2012 1:54 pm
If this is your generator rig, can't wait to see what your water heater / boiler looks like.  :)
carlb

Reply #18   Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm
aa335 wrote:
If this is your generator rig, can't wait to see what your water heater / boiler looks like.  :)
Here is a picture of my water heater

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42