Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 828lxe problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
al_in_nh

Toro 828lxe problem
Original Message   Feb 5, 2005 10:33 am
My nearly new Toro has a slight problem with it.  Seems that when its warmed up and working for a while, the shift  won't respond in the right direction.  When I shift from forward(1st) to  (1st) in reverse it will continue  going forward, or vise versa. If I use the 2nd speed in either direction, it will always go in the correct direction with no hesitation.  I thought maybe a simple adjustment is in order.  Could it be the rod that moves up and down when the clutch is operated?  I noticed a threaded adjustment there.  If this sounds simple to fix I would rather do it myself.   This is my first machine and so far so good except for this.  What a ya think Folks?

Thanks

Al

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
al_in_nh

Re: Toro 828lxe problem
Reply #3   Feb 5, 2005 1:29 pm
Ok thanks Richie.  My guess is that the link has to be shortened by adjusting the collar down a few turns.  I didn't see anything on it in the owner's manual.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #4   Feb 5, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi Al,

If you follow the steel engagement rod from the gear shifter down to the frame, you'll see that "L" bracket it connects to.  Remove the cotter pin and pull the rod off the bracket, and don't lose the washer.  Turn the ROD one turn counter-clockwise and reinstall the rod, washer and cotter pin.  That should take care of the adjustment.  If not, follow the above instructions and turn it one extra turn.  Mine only required one turn   It shouldn't take you more than 10 seconds, as it should be. 

BTW...I never realized how powerful these machines are on dry pavement.  After making the adjustment, while in 1st gear and just over the idle position, I tried to hold the snowblower from moving, LOL...I lost.  Happy snowblowing

Richie
al_in_nh

Reply #5   Feb 6, 2005 8:31 am
I'll give that a try sometime today.  Did you find this adjustment in the owners manual?
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #6   Feb 6, 2005 9:26 am
al_in_nh wrote:
I'll give that a try sometime today.  Did you find this adjustment in the owners manual?

Hi there Al,

No I didn't, there was no mention of it.  Obviously why I missed it.  My solution for something like this is to write Toro about it.  I have to wonder if this was just a one time break-in adjustment or if this needs to be checked when the auger and drive belts require adjusting.  I'll let you know.   

Richie
al_in_nh

Reply #7   Feb 6, 2005 4:00 pm
Hi Richie,

I made that adjustment that you suggested.  I had to do two turns on the rod to get it right.  Works every time now.  No snow falling here, but did a little of the back yard.  Pretty deep stuff and it went through fine.

Thanks for your help. 

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #8   Feb 6, 2005 4:23 pm
Excellent  I'm curious to see what Toro comes back with in response to my question. 

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #9   Feb 8, 2005 5:08 pm
Al,

I received a call today from the Toro Company representative, named Anne, in response to my question regarding the shift linkage.  According to her, this is not something that would be considered part of the 2 hour servicing.  The manual does cover the proper installation and adjustment for the auger and drive control linkage which is on page 7 & 8.  It also calls out the proper amount of adjustment on the squeeze grip handles. 

She also asked me how I liked the new chute and throw distances.  I told her I thought it was amazing.  Her next comment was, "Glad you like it so much, you have no idea the amount of R&D that went into the auger and chute design, not to mention the big performance boost yielded by the materials chosen.    

Richie
al_in_nh

Reply #10   Feb 8, 2005 6:57 pm
So, if I understand it correctly.  This shift linkage adjustment is not in the book that comes with the blower. Its such an easy adjustment anyway, now that I know how its done.  Looks like some wet snow is in the cards for us up here for Thursday.  Too bad its not coming on the weekend where you can enjoy the blower more.  Anyway take care and happy snowblowing.   Now about that sooped up Carb of yours??
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #11   Feb 8, 2005 6:58 pm
I am glad to hear that Toro put a lot of time into their chute design.  They should find some way to put that on their advertising, maybe a TV commercial.  If I knew that I might have purchased a Toro.    I am happy that I don't have to press any levers to help make the unit move. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #12   Feb 8, 2005 8:40 pm
al_in_nh wrote:
So, if I understand it correctly.  This shift linkage adjustment is not in the book that comes with the blower.  Anyway take care and happy snowblowing.   Now about that sooped up Carb of yours??

Hi there Al,

Actually, it's on page #8 of the manual.  They call it, "Traction Control Linkage." It explains exactly how to install and adjust it with the gear selector in the R2 position, no doubt for an optimal adjustment.  It would be the procedure if you had actually assembled the machine out of the box.  That's why I didn't pay much attention to it, my mistake.  The way we adjusted it seems to have also worked just fine and I see no reason to make any further adjustments.  

As for the carburetor, anything you want to know, feel free to ask.  I should point out to you that when it comes to removing your carburetor, the screws on the carb box, carb box hold down bracket, carb to manifold screws, and choke linkage, these were all very tight.  Chances are, if you are not very careful removing them, and are not using the correct size phillips screw driver, you can actually strip them.  As an example, I was very concerned about stripping the screws that hold the carburetor on the manifold.  I put all my 178 lbs of body weight into them, and they wouldn't budge. 

Since you can't go to a dealer for this work, I had to be a bit resourceful.  So I got my wife's blow dryer, heated up the nuts to expand them.  This made breaking them loose much easier.  I did this same sort of thing for all the parts, heating opposite the phillips screw heads.  If not for this, I would not have been able to make the carburetor switch.  I lubed all the hardware before I put them back on, no way I'm going through that again.  The upside to all of this was that with 2 hours on the machine since this work was done, not a hint of engine surging.  The surging was what drove me over the edge to deal with this on my own.  When a snowblower surges, especially in deep snow, it can't be used.  If you try to work through it, you'll end up clogging the snowblower.

Richie
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42