Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 24" Powerhouse - Advice, Feedback

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mobiledynamics

24" Powerhouse - Advice, Feedback
Original Message   Dec 13, 2011 12:11 pm
So 24" is the max due to 2 intriciate areas in which I must weave through.
Came across the Ariens 11HP and a Simplicity Pro 10HP .
How do these compare to the favored HS724.
Like the Hydro. Need the power
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mobiledynamics

Re: 24" Powerhouse - Advice, Feedback
Reply #3   Dec 13, 2011 3:17 pm
Ariens 924122.

The Simplicity Pro I've yet to contact the seller....
I like and I don't like the C channel frame
This message was modified Dec 13, 2011 by mobiledynamics
trouts2

Reply #4   Dec 13, 2011 7:51 pm
The 924122 is an outstanding model if you want power and durability in 24 inch footprint.  I've used three of them in snow.

There woud be no comparison to a HS724 except durability.

It's got a cast iron gearbox on roller bearings.

12 inch 4 blade impeller, serraged augers, 2x quick chute.

All beef power with a Tecumseh 11.5hp OHV that originally came with a 3 year warrentee.

Ariens old style (the good style) full wheel differential.

Good weight distribution even with the 11.5hp and small bucket. 

If I remember right it has the big and wide tires which are fantastic. = match any tracked machine.

Easy enought to handle.

If in good shape it's worth whatever reasonable high price he might ask for it.

The only disadvantage is in having a single belt on the auger.  With so much power it's easy to overdrive the augers and wear the best which is a constant complaint (of machine abusers).  If you use the machine properly the belt will not be a problem. 

A professional model in a "small" footprint.  If you need beef this is it.  If you have an average drive say 2 cars wide and 3 long then no need for something like this, the HS724 would be much better.  If you need reliable distance then this is it.  Worse case is you buy it and don't like it.  They hold their value as there are always people looking for a machine like this.  You could buy it and if you don't like it, sell it the next year for the same price.

RedOctobyr

Reply #5   Dec 13, 2011 9:19 pm
trouts2 mentioned Ariens' true differential system. This was something I'd thought of when reading your post. If you need to weave through/around things, there might be a benefit to having a machine with a real differential. That will allow both wheels to be driven, but still allow you to corner without having to drag a tire, like you would with a "typical" machine with both wheels mounted to a solid/locked axle.

I have only gotten to try my differential-equipped Ariens by driving it around the driveway, we haven't gotten snow yet. But I to laugh the first time I tried it. It was just so foreign, being able to simply steer easily while driving, rather than having to muscle the machine in one direction or the other, dragging the wheels across the pavement. With a differential, you can simply pivot the machine in place if you want, if you are not moving. One wheel rolls forward, the other rolls backward.

Some machines let you disengage just one wheel from the drive system, by squeezing a trigger. That's an improvement over a solid axle, but still not as nimble as a real differential.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #6   Dec 14, 2011 5:09 am
mobiledynamics wrote:
Ariens 924122.

The Simplicity Pro I've yet to contact the seller....
I like and I don't like the C channel frame

If it's the 1060 you can't go wrong. If it's from 2004-2005 it will have an aluminum bore Briggs. The engine was badged from 9 to 12hp depending which frame Simplicity put it in for those years. It was the same engine!! Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
FrankMA

Reply #7   Dec 14, 2011 6:19 am
mml4 wrote:
If it's the 1060 you can't go wrong. If it's from 2004-2005 it will have an aluminum bore Briggs. The engine was badged from 9 to 12hp depending which frame Simplicity put it in for those years. It was the same engine!! Marc

This one should go in the "Why there is no HP rating?" thread....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
mobiledynamics

Reply #8   Dec 15, 2011 6:00 pm
What do you think is a fair price for a '04 lightly *used* like new on this caliber of Ariens...
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Dec 17, 2011 9:38 am
mobiledynamics wrote:
What do you think is a fair price for a '04 lightly *used* like new on this caliber of Ariens...

I don't know what used equipment goes for in your area but in general if you really have found a lightly used almost new unit 6 or 7 years old it really comes down to your negotiating skills and how badly the owner wants to get rid of it. I will tell you this-I love 24" machines with 4hp/ft. of auger width or better . Combine that with the Ariens true differential and the cast iron commercial grade gear box and I would not let it get away unless the seller was totally unreasonable. Take a look at what you would have to pay for a new wheeled machine of comparable construction to get perspective. I think the only true differential unit made today is by Ariens and while great machines they don't come cheap. By the way I wouldn't be afraid of the OHV Tecumseh. While not a lot of them are around they do run very well. Let us know if you get it!!! Marc
This message was modified Dec 17, 2011 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
mobiledynamics

Reply #10   Dec 18, 2011 8:11 am
I'm not a OPE guy...
I've yet to research parts.

How hard are Tecumseh parts - carbs, etc.....to be found
mobiledynamics

Reply #11   Dec 19, 2011 9:25 am
Back for revivial, thoughts on buying a unit with Tecumseh engine......parts availibiity being a concern.

Looked at some utube vids. The 11HP 24 combo seems puurfect.
I saw it handle the compacted, plowed, compacted snow that I deal with with Ease.
That is the whole purpose of why I am am looking.

Single stage does the job.
It just doesn't handle the EOD for me at all.
As well, with deep snow, in which we get wet snow, I spend half the time shoving my hand down the chute to clear clogs in the single stage, taking smaller bites
does not help, as the wet snow just likes to clog the chute.
I need that impeller....

Like the 724 and would buy it in a heartbeat.
Like the Hydro
Just for the dollar, I can't fathom the smaller impeller.
Makes it feel like I'm paying MORE than just a premium for a machine priced at that caliber and a smaller impeller
And No, I cannot go beyond 24"
trouts2

Reply #12   Dec 20, 2011 11:49 am
>>.Tecumseh engine......parts availibiity being a concern.

Interesting issue given the .5 part of the 11.5 model.   Ariens owners manual spec's section lists the engine as OHSK115-221802A.  I can't find anything about this engine or a parts listing for >ANY< OHSK115. 

There are models close, 22180x, which you can produce a parts listing at partstree.com.  Those models are SA's not OHSK's with 318 blocks which the 11.5 should be.  The parts are probably interchangable.  If you were that concerned about it you could ask the seller for the engine number off the cowling and see exactly what's on there.  If you do that please post what it is. 

http://www.partstree.com/parts/

NOTE:The HMSK80 and HMSK85, both used the same piston, rings and carburetor.  It's probably the same for the HMSK110 and HMSK115.   

This message was modified Dec 21, 2011 by trouts2
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42