Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What linkage do I need?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bcjm

What linkage do I need?
Original Message   Dec 7, 2011 8:34 pm
My 10HP Tecumseh engine runs only one speed once started.   The throttle acts only like a on/off switch.  I guess some Tecumseh engines were designed that way from the factory (chippers, generators).  Does anyone know what parts I need to buy to convert this so I can adjust the engine RPM using the throttle lever or from a remote distance like snow blower handle.  If you have used parts willing to part out let me know.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Greg13

Re: What linkage do I need?
Reply #1   Dec 7, 2011 9:14 pm
I would suspect that there is something seized. I doubt that the engine was designed to start at full throttle. I have seen the butterfly shaft in the carb. gummed up as well.
bcjm

Reply #2   Dec 7, 2011 9:39 pm
I think some engines are like that.  They are designed to run at full speed like generator.
trouts2

Reply #3   Dec 7, 2011 10:23 pm
Which 10hp? What is the factory model number and sr?
RedOctobyr

Reply #4   Dec 7, 2011 10:31 pm
Do you mean the throttle lever acts like an on/off switch? Or is there just an on/off switch, and no real throttle at all (like you said, on something like a generator)?

What happens if you manually rotate the throttle itself on the engine? I presume it should speed up/slow down that way. Is the throttle lever really just two positions, with basically no travel between them? If it actually has some throw, then I wouldn't be surprised if it should at least have the ability to modulate the speed. As was mentioned, perhaps something is sticking or binding? With the engine off, can you turn the throttle and related governor linkages smoothly by hand?
bcjm

Reply #5   Dec 7, 2011 10:36 pm
After watching this video I think I know what I need,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDe-VH4X5EA&feature=related

My throttle is different and there is only one hole on my governor arm.  If you have the throttle, two linkages and the governor arm, please let me know if you want to see them.

Thanks

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42