Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I have to back up a long ways

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jamesp

I have to back up a long ways
Original Message   Nov 17, 2011 2:35 pm
It's just the nature of my particular driveway and all that surrounds it, but I spend a lot of time in reverse, which, as you all know isn't very productive. It's time for me to replace my ancient Ariens with a new two-stage blower and my budget is for around a $1,000, maybe a little more. I assumed that any of the newer models with two-speed reverse would be a vast improvement over what I'm used to, but in reading this forum I see some complaints from different owner's about their's being too slow backing up. There's plenty of other features to evaluate in buying new, but for now I'll just ask you folks for your thoughts on this subject alone. At this hour I'm sort of  leaning towards Simpicity or Husqvarna blowers, but that changes from day to day. Who is frustrated with their newer units slow reverse?
Replies: 5 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jamesp

Re: I have to back up a long ways
Reply #5   Nov 19, 2011 12:21 pm
Thank you guys for your responses. I guess that I'll have to be resigned to the fact that I'll need to continue turning around and going back up my long driveway. I guess that ease of turning will be an important issue, now.
trouts2

Reply #6   Nov 20, 2011 7:36 am

Honda and Yamaha machines can have very fast reverses, older MTD’s also.  As  RedOctobyr mentioned you can probably get the speed you want from your old Ariens by adjusting the friction disk at the expense of fast forward.

For new machines, each maker has spec’s for their speeds, often in their manuals but if not you can get them from the dealers service dept.  They can also give you an idea of how much they can be tweaked for faster reverse.
Whoha

Reply #7   Nov 20, 2011 9:25 am
Yes , both my Yamaha wheel and Honda wheel have what I think are fast reverses. I agree, try to adjust the linkage to get more speed by changing  rubber disk to metal disk location.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #8   Nov 30, 2011 5:24 am
jamesp wrote:
I assumed that any of the newer models with two-speed reverse would be a vast improvement over what I'm used to, but in reading this forum I see some complaints from different owner's about their's being too slow backing up. There's plenty of other features to evaluate in buying new, but for now I'll just ask you folks for your thoughts on this subject alone. At this hour I'm sort of  leaning towards Simpicity or Husqvarna blowers, but that changes from day to day. Who is frustrated with their newer units slow reverse?

I just landed a virtually new 2008 Toro 1028LXE recently on Craigslist for $600, and was very surprised to find out that the second reverse speed is pretty fast compared to what I have experienced with other machines, about like the same speed as 3rd to 4th forward.  I'm guessing that the more current Toro 1028 OXE would be the same as my 2008 LXE model.  I have no idea how fast the reverse speeds are on more recent models from Ariens, Husqvarna, John Deere, Simplicity, etc.  It would be good for manufacturers to offer a faster second reverse speed.

Another idea.  If you have a machine with steering triggers on both sides, just squeeze both, and then you can pull the unit backward as fast as you want, then simply release the triggers and continue forward again.  Or as borat suggested above, if you have a release lever on the left handle, that can help, too.  I hope your area is fairly flat, otherwise pulling backward could be a real problem.

Let's hope some other guys on this forum will help out on this.
This message was modified Nov 30, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #9   Nov 30, 2011 8:57 am
My 2009 Toro 1028 has 2 speeds for reverse and I use the faster one all the time because some areas of my driveway have wind that will just blow the snow back at me. So I blow in one direction. My EOD really has no room on one side to put the snow so I blow that in one direction usually and then back it up using fast reverse. It's a bit slower but it works well for me. So a fast reverse is really helpful. Sometimes I will just squeeze the triggers and roll it back. Depends on conditions.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Coldfingers

Reply #10   Nov 30, 2011 10:24 am
As others have said, if the wind is the wrong way I just turn it around and drive back up the driveway in a higher forward gear and then spin it around and start blowing again. I have a track drive ariens and reverse is slow but its easy to turn around so I just do it that way. Its faster.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #11   Nov 30, 2011 12:18 pm
That won't work for me. I am blowing on the crown where my EOD joins with the street. Going up and down leaves big patches there.

I find it easier to clear the EOD sideways as it gets all the snow vs going up and down until I am off the crown. I did try blowing both ways but knocking off my mailbox wasn't too much fun. Every driveway is different.

The Honda 928TAS that I had had the same problem only it was a bit worse blowing sideways because it only had rear skid shoes instead of side skids. Going up and down on the crown was not fun with the Honda as the rear skid shies would dig into the tar.

Granted that is due more to the shape and slope of the driveway but it was still a pain.

This message was modified Nov 30, 2011 by Steve_Cebu

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 5 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42