Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need advice on new 2-stage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jpmeyer

Need advice on new 2-stage
Original Message   Nov 12, 2011 2:15 pm
I plan on replacing a 12 year-old Toro 1-stage with a new 2-stage this season. I live in Northern Illinois and we get around 50 inches per year, with only a few snowfalls of more than 8 inches. However, my old Toro was sadly overmatched against last February's 20-incher and I need something that my wife can use in a pinch. I've got about 200 feet of sidewalk and about a 5-car driveway, all with modest slope. I also need to deal with significant end-of-driveway muck and to clear a curb cut that the neighborhood kids use to get to the bus stop. Ideally, I want something that can throw snow from my driveway and back walk over a 5-7 foot retaining wall and onto a hillside behind my house, something my Toro can do under only very limited circumstances. My garage space limits me to a 24- or 26-inch wide model. I tend to buy higher-quality, more expensive machines and to keep them maintained and in service for quite a while. Questions: How do 2-stage machines of this size do with the more common, smaller snowfalls (3 to 6 inches)? Any particular features I should look for to maximize performance in these common conditions? Would a 26-inch model do better because it collects snow from a larger path? I am leaning toward a Husqvarna 24-inch model because it will be easier to manage in the garage and has roughly the same power as a 26-inch Toro (which also seems to be using a brand new engine this year, which causes me concern). Any thoughts on these or other brands? Thanks, Jon
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42