Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Chainsaw

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chopper

New Chainsaw
Original Message   Nov 3, 2011 6:18 am
I need a new chainsaw and am looking at models with 16-inch bars. My old 25 year old Mcculoch has seen it's last days...clutch gone and engine blown seized. I am an occassional saw user and want it mostly for cutting up limbs and trees that fall around my property. I was looking at a Stihl Model: MS250 but parts, manuals, etc. are most only available from the dealer. I have narrowed my search down to two makes and models...Echo CS-370 or the Husqvarna 240E. I like the tool free chain tensioning feature on the Husqvarna yet parts, mauals, etc. seem to be more readily available for the Echo. From what I can find on the internet both saws will provide plenty of power for what I want in a saw with engines very close in cc's around 36.0cc to 38.0cc. Maybe I have overlooked a better make and model and welcome your suggestions. Any help to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
Replies: 6 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
samdog

Re: New Chainsaw
Reply #6   Nov 4, 2011 11:32 am
chopper wrote:

Ok now to complicate things and back to Stihl...I am now considering getting the Stihl MS250 which has a bigger 45.4cc engine and an 18-inch bar for 30 bucks more at $299.95 What do you think about this saw compared to the other two?

I bought the Stihl MS250 3 years ago, after extensive research. I'm stihl (haha) very pleased with it. I just used it to clear many downed branches after this October snow. I use it mainly to make about 2 or 3 cords of firewood per winter. 

That's a good price -- I paid $329 for mine 3 years ago 

This message was modified Nov 4, 2011 by samdog
chopper

Re: New Chainsaw
Reply #7   Nov 4, 2011 11:34 am
Good advice borat. Yeah I'm 56 years old and I know what you mean by weight. An 80lb bag of cement was nothing for me to carry around when I was 30 years old either. I think I am going to stick with the Echo CS-370. It's at least 2lbs lighter than the Stihl and from the videos I watched on You Tube of it in action, I don't need something heavier or bigger. Thanks again.
Replies: 6 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42