Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Axle/Drive Chain Sprocket Bolt Sheering

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chopper

Axle/Drive Chain Sprocket Bolt Sheering
Original Message   Nov 4, 2011 6:06 am
I have a Craftsman snowthrower Model: 536887752 that I bought new some 5 years ago. Has been running like a champ but we got our first 18-inch snow last week and I have a problem. I have included this parts link for my model:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdir...hdMod=536887752

The #653 bolt (1/4-20x2) which goes through the axle drive chain sprocket #652 and through the axle #650 broke. I thought it was a sheer bolt so I replaced it with the "correct" sheer bolt that I have for that model and the bolt broke again almost immediately after putting the machine in drive. After checking the parts manual I determined the bolt is not a sheer bolt but just a regular bolt. I then replaced it with a regular bolt and that got me through 95% of the snow clearing job until the very end where it broke again. I have checked for any binding in the drive, chain, wheels, axle, etc. and everything seems to be OK. Next I am thinking about doing one of two things...replacing the bolt with either a Grade 8 or a Grade 9 strength bolt which I do have from McMaster Carr Hardware or drilling out the 1/4" hole and going to a 5/16" bolt. Any ideas what the problem may be? Maybe I don't have a "problem" and I need the correct strength bolt. I think a 1/4' bolt looks pretty skimpy on that sprocket drive. Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42