Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS621

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
blumonster

Honda HS621
Original Message   Nov 3, 2011 9:27 pm
Two videos I saw on youtube were very interesting.One was brand new machine out of the box, shiny and all.You can see the cardboard box the machine came in the background.The other one is on the job. The second HS621 has a throttle?That I had not seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IllKHB8Cwls&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEPtwuRLryk

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
blumonster

Re: Honda HS621
Reply #11   Nov 6, 2011 1:03 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
A lot of my neighbors have Honda HS520 and they like the way it performs.  It starts well and moves snow efficiently so I am not sure if HS520 is a dud.  I have looked at HS621 for sale and many times the sellers are asking too much (around 350-450) with a lot of rust (rusted auger) and worn out peddles.   Heck, people are asking $200 for HS35.  So these units are for sale but they do not find new homes unless sellers are reasonable.  Just curious on how bad HS520 was for FrankMA?  Were the rubber peddles worn out on HS520 or just did not have the extra hp and torque of GX160?

I got my HS35 for $80 from a seller asking for $125.Not much rust.Still in decent enough shape. But it probably needs new paddles and a scraper.
FrankMA

Reply #12   Nov 6, 2011 2:06 pm
MN_Runner & blumonster: The HS520 did perform OK but it seemed to be a bit lackluster as far as throw distance. I watched videos of the HS621 on Youtube and the performance difference appears to be substantial. There's a couple of videos where the guy is clearing a sidewalk and the discharge out of the chute looks like it does on a 2 stage machine. A real rooster tail type of discharge and the throw distance is incredible. I cannot duplicate that with my HS520 even though the paddles are new, although they do not appear to be OEM paddles if that makes that much of a difference.

I paid $ 250.00 for my HA520A in November of 2010 and used it quite a bit during last winter. I picked up my HS621AS in the spring of this year for $ 125.00 knowing that I had to replace the paddles and scrapper bar. I planned on replacing them before the first snow hit but this storm snuck up us and when I called my local shop for parts, they were on backorder. My first time using it was last week and as I said, the paddles and scrapper bar were both really worn - there was nothing left of the scrapper bar except the flat portion that is bolted to the back of the bucket! The paddles were also in tough shape with about a 1/2" gap between the middle paddle and the inside portion of the bucket.

blumonster: I downloaded the HS621 manual and do not see where it says that the symbols should be facing outward. I installed them with the symbols facing inward and am now wondering which way is correct and/or if it makes a difference. If I'm at the control panel as if operating the machine, then the paddles labeled "R" for right side are mounted on the right side and they only way they would fit correctly in this configuration is with the symbols facing inward (not showing). The manual I have simply states that if it needs new paddles to take it to an authorized Honda dealer for service.

Here's the excerpt from the manual I downloaded - it is on page 35. Can anyone confirm or correctly interpret which configuration is considered correct?

NOTE:

lf the paddles are worn out, the scraper may also have become worn.

Inspect the scraper as described on page 28 .

lf paddle replacement or other repairs are needed, take the snowthrower

to an authorized Honda snowthrower dealer.

NOTE:

lf the paddles are worn out, the scraper may also have become worn.

Inspect the scraper as described on page 28 .

lf paddle replacement or other repairs are needed, take the snowthrower

to an authorized Honda snowthrower dealer.

This message was modified Nov 6, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
FrankMA

Reply #13   Nov 6, 2011 2:28 pm
Just an FYI: I just went and checked out the old paddles (which are OEM) and they were mounted with the symbols facing inward (not showing).

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
blumonster

Reply #14   Nov 6, 2011 3:12 pm
I am sorry if I caused confusion.

I checked both manuals for HS621 and HS35 and it is from HS35.

I did not see anything about symbols on HS621's manual.

Here is the section where HS35's manual mentions symbols:

This message was modified Nov 6, 2011 by blumonster
aa335

Reply #15   Nov 6, 2011 3:41 pm
I bought the aftermarket paddles a few years ago.  It was cheaper and was softer and more flexible, even with the reinforced cords in the middle.  I think it may be from the same stock of rubber that Toro paddles are made of.  The Honda OEM paddles of course was more expensive, but quite stiffer without the cords.  They do last longer,  the performance was better, especially in slushy condition. 

Changing the paddles were a PITA.  There were too many fasteners.  You need a ratchet/socket on one side, a large flat screwdriver on the other side.  I also don't recall seeing any symbols on the paddles.
This message was modified Nov 6, 2011 by aa335
blumonster

Reply #16   Nov 6, 2011 3:48 pm
aa335 wrote:
I bought the aftermarket paddles a few years ago.  It was cheaper and was softer and more flexible, even with the reinforced cords in the middle.  I think it may be from the same stock of rubber that Toro paddles are made of.  The Honda OEM paddles of course was more expensive, but quite stiffer without the cords.  They do last longer,  the performance was better, especially in slushy condition. 

Changing the paddles were a PITA.  There were too many fasteners.  You need a ratchet/socket on one side, a large flat screwdriver on the other side.  I also don't recall seeing any symbols on the paddles.

Like an O or something similar to that.Also the same symbol on nuts and bolts.I will take a picture of it.

Have you seen this big a snow blower before? I have not, but the video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtCntPsOGE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA02SAlOeJU&feature=related

This message was modified Nov 6, 2011 by blumonster
FrankMA

Reply #17   Nov 6, 2011 4:09 pm
The paddles have an "R" and an "L" stamped into them to denote which side they are to be installed. The middle paddles do not have anything on them except some sort of of alpha/numeric code. It's amazing to see how much wear was on the old ones after installing the new paddles - there's barely any gap between the paddle and the bucket. I compared the new and old paddles by placing one on top of the other and the difference in width was substantial - overall about 1/2". Should produce a huge difference in the throwing ability and overall  peformance. Once again, I wait for a storm to try out my new to me toy!!!!

aa335

Reply #18   Nov 6, 2011 4:26 pm
So are the symbols on the textured side of the rubber?  I can't remember, but looking at the installed rubber augers, all of mine have the textured size towards the metal for better grip. 
blumonster

Reply #19   Nov 8, 2011 4:25 pm
Here is a picture showing the way I put the scraper.Is that the right way?

And the picture of symbols on HS35.Apparently the wrong way.:

This message was modified Nov 8, 2011 by blumonster
aa335

Reply #20   Nov 9, 2011 10:01 am
blumonster wrote:
Here is a picture showing the way I put the scraper.Is that the right way?

The metal plates are in the correct position.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42