Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > R3 Performance Upgrade Kit - Questions (Snowmann??)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Lightning

R3 Performance Upgrade Kit - Questions (Snowmann??)
Original Message   Nov 1, 2011 2:45 pm
Hello, All -

While doing a bit of research online for maintenance info about my 2001 Ariens 824 Snowblower (Model #932100-000101), I've stumbled across this site/forum and have discovered a lot of good information and a weath of knowledge - which I'd like to tap a bit, if possible. 

What I'm hoping to learn is if there are any indivdiuals out there who can give me their $.02 about the available R3 performance upgrade kit (Part #53212100) and how difficult it is to install  - as well as if everything one might need in regards installing it (grease/lube??) is included (which, I assume, everything is).  I'll acknowledge that 'how difficult it is to install' could be a fairly tough question to answer based on ones ability, but I'm fairly apt and don't feel intimidated by the parts diagram or doing this kind of a project.

Overall, I ask as the local dealer for Ariens was, to be honest, less than helpful about anything related to this topic and it made me think that I could do this on my own.  Hopefully some of you have some insight, especially Snowmann, who appears, based on his employer, to be uniquely suited to these types of inquires.  The snowblower has performed wonderfully over these last 10 years and I know it has a lot of life left in it, but it is getting to the point where I know I need to do some maintenance beyond changing the oil and greasing it up!

Regards,

Lightning (White Bear Lake, MN)

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Snowmann

Re: R3 Performance Upgrade Kit - Questions (Snowmann??)
Reply #1   Nov 6, 2011 12:23 pm
The R3 performance traction drive kit is intended to upgrade the traction drive on 2 models to be more suitable for more extreme operating environments. If you're have gone 10 year without problems, this kit may not help you much. It will increase the available axle torque and decrease the service interval for the friction disk however. This kit is only for 932100 and 932101 models (these models were produced in 2002 and earlier or thereabouts). The subsequent models 932104 and 932105 have this as standard equipment. If I recall correctly this kit speeds up the system between the engine and the drive plate with a smaller lower pulley, and gears down the ratio between the friction disk and the drive axle. This reduces the requirement for the friction disk to transmit high torque (and transmits the same power at a lower torque). There is also a shift arm that moves the friction disk further off center from the drive plate increasing the efficiency. The kit also updates the friction disk compound to somethign more aggressive and durable. If the parts manual doesn't scare you, you should be able to do this yourself. While you're in the drive, you might want to lube everything per the service schedule. Don't forget to oil the drive plate spindle bushings and make sure the traction drive cable is not loaded past the manual callouts (with respect to spring extension). PM me if you have any problems.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42