Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Steering system Husky Power Steering vs Toro OXE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Norfolker

Steering system Husky Power Steering vs Toro OXE
Original Message   Oct 10, 2011 12:50 pm
Quick intro: From eastern Mass (half way between Boston and Providence RI). Need to invest in a snow blower that is robust yet easy to steer - well, one that has a good steering system. I'm about to have L4 & L5 vertebrae fused and during the healing process will need a blower that won't make me screw things up by bulling it around. Anyway, been doing a lot of research (lots of free time - disabled from work until back is fixed) and I am narrowing my search down to the Toro's OEX's (Power Max 826OEX, 828OEX, or 1028 OEX) and the Husky with power steering and the high impeller speed (11524E & 14527E) Questions, how do these steer? At this point that is the priority, I will tackle the other differences later. OR do you know of a RELIABLE machine that needs no body twisting or pulling to steer it. (I read reports that Troy-Bilt have unreliable reverse gears) thanks -Bill
This message was modified Oct 10, 2011 by Norfolker
Replies: 31 - 40 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Norfolker

Re: Steering system Husky Power Steering vs Toro OXE
Reply #31   Nov 1, 2011 2:05 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I have not had the time to visit the Husky dealer not sure when I will have the time But I do want to see one up close.

Thanks Steve, but I finally pulled the trigger, on a Toro. The 826 OXE. As it turns out my local Husky/Ariens dealer also has Toro, so the local aspect was not an issue. We decided on a smaller unit than the 1028 for a number of reasons, with immediate availability and price being just part. We picked it up on Saturday (needless to say, Norfolk Power was BUSY).

Sunday we woke up to "only" 6 inches of wet, leafed, snow.

As mentioned in another thread, I also found out that in first gear, the snow/leaf mix was not being thrown as efficiently as in 2nd or 3rd.

BTW, anyone have a good solution for a crowned drive? My (well, late father's) old 724 had a spring loaded scraper that would not cause an issue. The 826 did not like the crown.

If I raise the skids, I would still leave about an inch (or more) on the flat areas.

Anyone jury rig "temporary" removable skid extenders for when approaching the crown? Or maybe a hard rubber extension on the scraper that would deflect when hitting the crown?

This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by Norfolker
Steve_Cebu

Reply #32   Nov 1, 2011 6:25 pm
Norfolker wrote:
Thanks Steve, but I finally pulled the trigger, on a Toro. The 826 OXE. As it turns out my local Husky/Ariens dealer also has Toro, so the local aspect was not an issue. We decided on a smaller unit than the 1028 for a number of reasons, with immediate availability and price being just part. We picked it up on Saturday (needless to say, Norfolk Power was BUSY).

Sunday we woke up to "only" 6 inches of wet, leafed, snow.

As mentioned in another thread, I also found out that in first gear, the snow/leaf mix was not being thrown as efficiently as in 2nd or 3rd.

BTW, anyone have a good solution for a crowned drive? My (well, late father's) old 724 had a spring loaded scraper that would not cause an issue. The 826 did not like the crown.

If I raise the skids, I would still leave about an inch (or more) on the flat areas.

Anyone jury rig "temporary" removable skid extenders for when approaching the crown? Or maybe a hard rubber extension on the scraper that would deflect when hitting the crown?

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 826, it's a good machine. The 1028 is too big for some people depending on how much snow you get. Having too little snow for us is never an issue. The stuff I was blowing as so jammed up that I could smell something burning, maybe the belt or clutch. The Toro 1128 has that spring loaded scraper bar, but I avoided buying it as it's one more thing to go wrong. Our driveway isn't crowned but it does tend to pull to one side or the other depending. I just use teh trigger to sort it out.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

Reply #33   Nov 2, 2011 1:26 pm
got my Husqvarna 14527-XLS.

I discovered a very strange fact.

1)      The moment the speed laver is pushed up, the snow blower starts driving “WITHOUT PRESSING DOWN ON THE DRIVE LEVER”. I had to squeeze both triggers to disengage the wheels!! Strange.

2)      After I press down the drive lever and I release is, IT WON’T STOP!

3)      I  HAVE TO MOVE THE SPEED LEVER BACK TO NEUTRAL TO STOP THE BEAST!!! “What a shame”  

I called up my dealer all upset, but the answer was: Hydrostatic drive dose have a lag after you stop it”

I called Husqvarna support. They say: Hydro drive must stop almost immediately, if I experience a “lag” I should return it.

I called back my dealer, they picked it up.

I’m awaiting an answer from them.  But I have set my mind anyway. I want to swap it out for a Toro 826 OXE.

How is the steering of the 826?

Why isn’t it working in the first gear as good as the third? (do I have to attack EOD in 3th gear?!)

Dos the 826 have a fuel shut off valve?

You did your research about the 826 and 1028, can you please share it so I can decide for myself?

Thanks for your upcoming support

Toro 1028 OXE
Steve_Cebu

Reply #34   Nov 2, 2011 5:51 pm
JoelKlein wrote:
got my Husqvarna 14527-XLS.

1)      The moment the speed laver is pushed up, the snow blower starts driving “WITHOUT PRESSING DOWN ON THE DRIVE LEVER”. I had to squeeze both triggers to disengage the wheels!! Strange.

2)      I called Husqvarna support. They say: Hydro drive must stop almost immediately, if I experience a “lag” I should return it.

I called back my dealer, they picked it up.

I’m awaiting an answer from them.  But I have set my mind anyway. I want to swap it out for a Toro 826 OXE.

How is the steering of the 826?

Why isn’t it working in the first gear as good as the third? (do I have to attack EOD in 3th gear?!)

Dos the 826 have a fuel shut off valve?

You did your research about the 826 and 1028, can you please share it so I can decide for myself?

Ok first off it's very dangerous for a snowblower to move if you have not pressed the engagement lever. That sounds like a cable problem except you really don't have cables with a hydrostatic tranny.

Th dealer should fix the problem, hopefully they can. My Toro does not have this issue. The 1028 I have steers like a dream but like any snowblower if the driveway isn't dead flat then you have to adjust it every so often with either a slight hip nudge or a squeeze on the proper steering trigger.

Every gear works fine on my Toro (wet snow mixed with leaves excepted). No matter what brand of snowblower you have, you can overdrive it. I tackle the driveway at the speed that cleans it to pavement the best. For 6" of powder that means 4th or 5th gear easily. For 20" of EOD 1st is a better choice. My Toro works well in any gear but it all depends on conditions I rarely attack the EOD with more than 1st gear on the 1st pass. If I have to do a second pass due to the way it meets the road then I do it in 3rd or 4th gear

My 1028 has a fuel shutoff, the 826 I believe has a Briggs engine so it should have one.

The auger should NOT engage unless you depress the lever and the same goes for the drive.

Maybe you should let the dealer try and fix the problem on your Husky, if he can't then maybe he can swap you out for a Toro if he sells them. Snowblower dealers HATE to refund money. You will make an enemy for life no matter what they tell you.

If he doesn't also sell Toro then it could be an uphill battle.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
snowmachine

Reply #35   Nov 2, 2011 9:45 pm
Fuel shutoff valve is an easy and cheap part ($5-8) to add on. I had to add one to mine. Engine had a sticker over the cover cutout where the valve goes.
MrNuke

Reply #36   Nov 3, 2011 4:37 pm
The 826 OXE does have a fuel shutoff valve. 
JoelKlein

Reply #37   Nov 4, 2011 12:42 am
Thanks for your support! My dealer sells almost every brand snow blower. he said i could swap it for a 826 if I want. I just feel bad about loosing the extra 305cc the husky had... but overall the 826 "should be" much lighter to maneuver in my tiny boiler room. the husky cost me a visit to my doctor cus It was to heavy to bully in the boiler room. will go down tomorrow and talk to him live. P.S. if I buy a shed. I wold defiantly go for the the bigger 1028. Money is not so much the issue, as i'm looking to be proud of my self they I bought a top of the line snow blower... B.T.W. can some one explain me in a real life situation were a 250cc wold not perform and the 305/345cc will? in other words; were in real life expiriance dos it make a difference if its a 250 cc or bigger? Thanks

Toro 1028 OXE
Steve_Cebu

Reply #38   Nov 4, 2011 3:33 am
JoelKlein wrote:
Thanks for your support! My dealer sells almost every brand snow blower. he said i could swap it for a 826 if I want. I just feel bad about loosing the extra 305cc the husky had... but overall the 826 "should be" much lighter to maneuver in my tiny boiler room. the husky cost me a visit to my doctor cus It was to heavy to bully in the boiler room. will go down tomorrow and talk to him live. P.S. if I buy a shed. I wold defiantly go for the the bigger 1028. Money is not so much the issue, as i'm looking to be proud of my self they I bought a top of the line snow blower... B.T.W. can some one explain me in a real life situation were a 250cc wold not perform and the 305/345cc will? in other words; were in real life expiriance dos it make a difference if its a 250 cc or bigger? Thanks

The 1028 is really an incredible machine! One of the other guys in the forum got an 826 and really wishes he had bought the 1028 instead. I guess it depends on how much snow you get. I have no idea how easy or difficult the Husky is to manuever but the 1028 is pretty easy for me as long as I squeeze both triggers it's pretty easy to move. That is easily tested in the showroom. I always feel it's better to have a bit extra and not need it than wish I had it when I don't.

daniel

Reply #39   Nov 4, 2011 11:31 am
JoelKlein wrote:

Hello,

I don't have any experience with the larger 1028, but I did purchase an 826 oxe last year and have a season under my belt with it now.  It does bog down a bit when trying to clear more than a foot of snow at any speed higher than second "gear".  But I have been very pleased with it.  (just sounds like it is working super hard)  It is super maneuverable with both steering triggers pressed to unlock both wheels.  I have a 400' driveway in New York and it has never let me down.  It usually rides up on the EOD in first gear the first time, then I back it up and hit it again and it scrapes down to the ground.  No big deal for me, I am rarely in a rush.  This week I tackled the super wet slush with it, and the chute did get clogged up 3-4 times requiring me to clear it out (this was on Sunday evening after the 6" had had time to slush down quite a bit).  Could be because I did not spray the auger/chute with WD40 this season like I have in the past.  I still got the whole 400' done in under an hour.  I was also pleasantly surprised to find that I can knock out the whole driveway with 1-2 " in 6th "gear" super fast and it clears down to the pavement, was not execting that with a two stage.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.  This reminds me, I have to go out to the garage and clean all the leaves out of the bucket.

Good luck,

Dan

Toro 826 OXE Snowblower, Echo PB-500 backpack blower, Toro 22" high wheel recycler mower, Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 6 spd :)
JoelKlein

Reply #40   Nov 6, 2011 12:50 am
"Great News" I Swapped the Husqvarna for a..........Toro........yes yes yes....the big brother 1028 OXE! paid the extra $300.00 and got on friday. I did notice thou, the joy stick moves the the chute around very easy, Too easy, and it swings on its own, i can't get it to stay "looked" in the 1 o'clock possition, hard right or left it holds, but not off center. is it a adjustment? Thanks

Toro 1028 OXE
Replies: 31 - 40 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42