Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What is the purpose of this modification?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
blumonster

What is the purpose of this modification?
Original Message   Oct 30, 2011 1:03 pm
As far as I know this skidpad(?) was not part of the original Honda HS35 but apparently the owner put it there.

What could the purpose be behind this?

Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: What is the purpose of this modification?
Reply #7   Nov 1, 2011 11:59 am
blumonster wrote:
But look at the belt cover,  how shiny and new-looking it is. :)

Well, at least it doesn't have Vtech or powered by Mugen stickers.  Or one of those hideous rear spoilers.
samdog

Reply #8   Nov 1, 2011 2:47 pm
Uh oh, I went and lowered my Honda mower. Wait-a-minute...you CAN do that!

But maybe the fart can is too much.

This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by samdog
aa335

Reply #9   Nov 1, 2011 5:02 pm
samdog wrote:

That's nothing.  You should see what I've done to my Toro mower.

I left out the grass catcher, cross drilled the wheels to save weight. 

Changed solid rubber tires to nitrogen filled pneumatic tires.  I have no idea what this does, but all the race guys do it.  100% nitrogen is very expensive, but 70% nitrogen is free.

Added Japanese character stickers for mods were not really installed.  Felt like 10 hp stronger.

Added ram air intake 1/2 inch above the grass, took out the air filters because it kept getting clogged.

Added carbon fiber veneer to the handles.  Felt noticeable improvement to stiffness.  Carbon just looks faster.

Took out the self propel and belt to reduce drag and weight.  It goes as fast as I can push. 4.3mph is too pedestrian.

Thinned out the aluminum deck to 1/16" thick.

Got a lightweight flywheel for the motor.  It doesn't idle very well, but throttle respose is very quick

Ice chill the fuel tank.  Dense fuel makes more power.

End result:  Shaved 30 seconds off my lawn mowing task.    The lawn looks really bad, uneven cut with stragglers everywhere.
This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by aa335
blumonster

Reply #10   Nov 1, 2011 6:19 pm
aa335 wrote:
Well, at least it doesn't have Vtech or powered by Mugen stickers.  Or one of those hideous rear spoilers.
;D LMAO
blumonster

Reply #11   Nov 1, 2011 6:25 pm
samdog wrote:

You can do that? LMAO I was thinking of lifting the snow blower...

I have not messed with the height on my simple Craftsman push mower yet.2 years and not even sharpened the blades.Weeds sprouting in the yard are telling me I need to sharpen the blades.But how?With what?I am new to all these machines.Is there an easy way to do it?

This lawn mower has already a bad fart can.You should see it when I tip the mower on the hilly parts of the yard. It gets all smoky. Today I got Supertech HD30 oil for its first ever oil change.Next in line is sharpening the blades, if I can.

blumonster

Reply #12   Nov 1, 2011 6:27 pm
aa335 wrote:
That's nothing.  You should see what I've done to my Toro mower.

I left out the grass catcher, cross drilled the wheels to save weight. 

Changed solid rubber tires to nitrogen filled pneumatic tires.  I have no idea what this does, but all the race guys do it.  100% nitrogen is very expensive, but 70% nitrogen is free.

Added Japanese character stickers for mods were not really installed.  Felt like 10 hp stronger.

Added ram air intake 1/2 inch above the grass, took out the air filters because it kept getting clogged.

Added carbon fiber veneer to the handles.  Felt noticeable improvement to stiffness.  Carbon just looks faster.

Took out the self propel and belt to reduce drag and weight.  It goes as fast as I can push. 4.3mph is too pedestrian.

Thinned out the aluminum deck to 1/16" thick.

Got a lightweight flywheel for the motor.  It doesn't idle very well, but throttle respose is very quick

Ice chill the fuel tank.  Dense fuel makes more power.

End result:  Shaved 30 seconds off my lawn mowing task.    The lawn looks really bad, uneven cut with stragglers everywhere.

You forgot rotating rims.The kind you see in the ghetto.Shiny, oversized rims. :D

Too bad all this work amounted to nothing... LMAO

aa335

Reply #13   Nov 1, 2011 6:29 pm
blumonster wrote:
Weeds sprouting in the yard are telling me I need to sharpen the blades.But how?With what?I am new to all these machines.Is there an easy way to do it?

That's what those wheel height adjustment are for.  Lower the deck to the ground until the blade grinds against concrete.  Let it run for 2 minutes and you get sharpened blades. 

Okay, I hope everyone understand that's a joke. 
aa335

Reply #14   Nov 1, 2011 6:35 pm
blumonster wrote:
You forgot rotating rims.The kind you see in the ghetto.Shiny, oversized rims. :D

Too bad all this work amounted to nothing... LMAO

I'm into performance enhancing mods, not bling bling. 
blumonster

Reply #15   Nov 1, 2011 6:37 pm
aa335 wrote:
That's what those wheel height adjustment are for.  Lower the deck to the ground until the blade grinds against concrete.  Let it run for 2 minutes and you get sharpened blades. 

Okay, I hope everyone understand that's a joke. 

Why did not I think of that before? LOL

Smart!

aa335

Reply #16   Nov 1, 2011 6:39 pm
blumonster wrote:
Why did not I think of that before? LOL

Smart!

Yeah, you can also balance your blades from side to side and front to back too.  
This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42