Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS724WA or Ariens 24 Platinum

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DBV1

Honda HS724WA or Ariens 24 Platinum
Original Message   Oct 28, 2011 10:14 am
Hello -Looking at purchasing a Honda HS724WA or Ariens 24 Platinum. Our driveway is around 2000 sq feet on a slight hill. Also will be doing a sidewalk on a larger hill. Thanks for the help. My wife likes snow shoveling, so she also will be using the snow blower too.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Re: Honda HS724WA or Ariens 24 Platinum
Reply #1   Oct 31, 2011 3:38 am
DBV1 wrote:
Hello -Looking at purchasing a Honda HS724WA or Ariens 24 Platinum. Our driveway is around 2000 sq feet on a slight hill. Also will be doing a sidewalk on a larger hill. Thanks for the help. My wife likes snow shoveling, so she also will be using the snow blower too.

It will probably come down to the steering issue.  The Honda HS724 (196cc Honda GX200; about 7hp) won't steer, but the Ariens (250cc Briggs; about 8hp) does without wheel-release triggers.  I haven't tried the Automatic Traction Control on the Ariens, so I can't say what it's like.  I have read good reviews about that feature.  It's locked in two-wheel drive until you start turning left or right.  At that time, it goes into differential mode with some kind of clutching action on the wheels.  When you go straight again, it locks into two-wheel action once again.  No clue how it works.  If you want to stop and back up, then you have to release the left hand lever to disengage the drive so you can freewheel.  Then you stop and re-engage the left lever to move again.

If you would consider a 28-inch, you could go with a Toro Power Max 1028OXE (305cc Briggs; about 10hp).  The Toro has steering triggers under each handle grip.  Simply grip the left one to go left, and the right trigger to go right.  Unlike the Ariens, the Toro drive can be left in gear while pulling BOTH triggers for freewheeling, then simply let go of the triggers to resume forward motion with locked two-wheel drive, or release only one trigger if you want to turn.  That's a nice little perk, but hardly a deal breaker.

All these blowers can handle your uphill needs.  Don't bother with a track-drive model.  Hard to turn.  Your wife would need a forklift to turn a track-drive model.  Well, actually, so would I!

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
snowmachine

Reply #2   Oct 31, 2011 5:53 pm
The new tracked Husky models with their standard trigger controls should make steering less of an issue.

coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #3   Nov 1, 2011 2:38 am

snowmachine wrote:
The new tracked Husky models with their standard trigger controls should make steering less of an issue.

That's very nice.  I didn't know Husqvarna had a model this this.  The best of both worlds.  I wonder how it is to move around in one's garage.  Maybe pull the triggers and hope it turns decently.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
snowmachine

Reply #4   Nov 1, 2011 8:56 pm
Not sure how real world turning is. This is a new model this year. I even went out to look at the schematic to see if I could pursue the track mod for my Craftsman "Husky" clone but didn't look like it would be worth it.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42