Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What do you think of Ariens Single Stage Sno-Tek SS22E?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

What do you think of Ariens Single Stage Sno-Tek SS22E?
Original Message   Oct 24, 2011 10:30 pm
I know that Toro has owned this category but I saw this unit (model 938022) and it looks interesting.  205cc Briggs OHV engine (around ~7hp) with electric start.  Don't know if it employs ball bearings on the PTO like some of the early Chinese made Briggs motors.  22" bucket width & 12.6" intake height.  No fancy chute control gadgets.  Claim of up to 40' of throw.  The interesting part is the 10" diameter auger.  The  paddles, which are the same curved looking shape as Toro paddles, but are made of some kind of polymer material.  I wonder how this would differ from the usual reinforced rubber material on most single stage machines?  More or less wear?  More or less "pull" through the snow?  The auger bucket looks like plastic,  which I don't necessarily like, but I can't tell how much of it is actually plastic.  Anyone know how this unit stacks up against the Toro or the multitude of MTD machines?
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
aa335

Re: What do you think of Ariens Single Stage Sno-Tek SS22E?
Reply #1   Oct 24, 2011 11:38 pm
I haven't seen the Sno-tek in person, but it's probably identical with the Simplicity and Snapper versions.  It's all the same, made by Briggs and Stratton and rebadged under various names.

Construction wise, it's decent, not same level of  fit and finish as a Toro, probably better than MTDs.  The curved reinforced auger have stiffer mid section in addition to a larger, more powerful engine would perform better in slushy and hard packed snow.

I'm sure that the bucket is stamped metal, but powder coated, instead of painted.  The finish should be pretty tough and durable.

The plastic side belt cover was an afterthought, looks cheap and doesn't seem to integrate well with otherwise decent looking machine.
This message was modified Oct 25, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42