Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Generator reviews

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JimmyM

Generator reviews
Original Message   Aug 30, 2011 9:25 am
In Massachusetts right now, I'm without power. I have a Craftsman (relabeled Generac) 4.2 kW (5.2kW surge) generator. But it struggles to run my house. Even being careful with power, it sags badly (some home electronics shut off or restart) when my 240V 1/2HP well pump starts. UPSs constantly cycle between battery and AC. I have tested the voltage (116-117V per line). It's just not enough. I'll make it through this outage (projected to last 5-7 days overall). But the Wife and I have decided that a better/bigger generator is needed for the future. I'm looking in the 8kW-15kW continuous output range. Wheeled to allow its movement and runs on Gasoline. I'd still like it to be at least semi-portable.

I've looked at the Generac GP8000 and GP15000s and they look good. But what other good reliable brands are out there? Honda's big one is only 6500W.
Is Northern Tool's house brand (NorthStar) any good?
This message was modified Aug 30, 2011 by JimmyM
Replies: 16 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mcbnh

Re: Generator reviews
Reply #16   Oct 20, 2011 8:45 pm
I have a Yamaha EF6600DE and have been very pleased with its performance. The thing is quiet and runs anything I want it too including computers which I had heard needed "clean" power like an inverter type unit has. I have two sumps to run and sometimes they both kick on at the same time but the Yanaha does not flinch. I also have electric hot water that takes 4,000 watts. I have a seperate plug for the hot water and  then move the cord back to the 10 breaker transfer switch when the water is done. While not big enough to run the whole house all at once it handles the basics and then some. I do not run the stove or microwave but I can live without those for a few days or even longer as long as I have heat, my basement is not flooding, my fridge contents are not spoiling, and my grill is working!.
Intruder

Reply #17   Oct 20, 2011 10:49 pm
A couple of years ago, I bought an ETQ 4k generator via Amazon for less than 4 hundred bucks delivered... biggest deciding criteria was this unit had a 240V outlet.  I have no doubt it's a Chinese product.  Bought a transfer switch and installed it. Transfer switch, wire, exterior box etc cost almost as much as the generator.  Have had to use it a few times since installed and took me through Irene.  During Irene it was going for three days. Uses 4 gallons in 10+ hours. and runs flawlesly so far! I run all sorts of electronic equipment on it, ref. lights, tv and some microwave thrown in.  I leave the Water Pump breakers off.  When I run the 220V water pump, I do unload most of the other draws, pump up the water tank, WP breakers off, all others back on.

Real Happy with the generator and the setup...  Have heard a few good things about ETQ generators from a few people.  I would think a 6.5K generator would be fine for running a whole house... just realize your working off a generator and use your head!
JimmyM

Reply #18   Oct 21, 2011 5:22 pm
I had a look at the Gillette generatos web site. WOW those things are built well. I really like how they go into the design details of their generator section. Windings, diodes, etc.
They're quite expensive, but perhaps instead of a 12-15kW Generac, I can use a 9-10kW Gillette.

Thanks for the info.
mikiewest

Reply #19   Oct 21, 2011 10:42 pm
I own a ridgid portable generator.It's rated at 6800 running watts and 8500 start up watts.It has a Yamaha MZ360 11hp engine and an "armour heavy duty alternator" (whatever that means).I used it during Hurricane Irene for 10 consecutive days,22 hrs/day.I would shut it down for 1 hr in the morning prior to refueling and 1 hr in the evening before refueling.It ran my whole house.I had a 10 circuit manual transfer switch installed.It ran a sump pump,deep freezer,sub zero refrigerator,flat panel tv,computer,toaster,micro wave and never did my generator feel overworked.It has a auto voltage regulator so I guess an inverter gen is not needed. My comp and all the electronic appliances worked perfectly.And I bought it at home depot for $900 + tax. Winco and Gillette make great products as does yamaha and honda.But I cant see spending 2 to $3000 on something that I will use once every 2 to 3 yrs.So far my $900 gen has proven to be reliable and safe to use with electronic equipment.
JimmyM

Reply #20   Oct 22, 2011 1:51 pm
mikiewest wrote:
I own a ridgid portable generator.It's rated at 6800 running watts and 8500 start up watts.It has a Yamaha MZ360 11hp engine and an "armour heavy duty alternator" (whatever that means).I used it during Hurricane Irene for 10 consecutive days,22 hrs/day.I would shut it down for 1 hr in the morning prior to refueling and 1 hr in the evening before refueling.It ran my whole house.I had a 10 circuit manual transfer switch installed.It ran a sump pump,deep freezer,sub zero refrigerator,flat panel tv,computer,toaster,micro wave and never did my generator feel overworked.It has a auto voltage regulator so I guess an inverter gen is not needed. My comp and all the electronic appliances worked perfectly.And I bought it at home depot for $900 + tax. Winco and Gillette make great products as does yamaha and honda.But I cant see spending 2 to $3000 on something that I will use once every 2 to 3 yrs.So far my $900 gen has proven to be reliable and safe to use with electronic equipment.

I guess I'm trying to just get a generator that works. I don't want to spend $1000 on a generator to have it not do the job (UPSs and Well Pump) then have to fight with the retailer to take it back as a used item.
Maybe I'll see if I can rent a 8 or 10kW generator and see how it fares.
Replies: 16 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42