Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Platinum ST30DLE or Toro Power Max® 1028OXE Please help!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tgseaver

Original Message   Oct 14, 2011 6:27 am
Going back and forth as to which one! Same price, Local dealers that service, like the look of both. Kinda leaning toward the Ariens only cause of the bigger engine 342 vs 305,is that a good reason?,or is 28" Toro a little more nibble to move around. Ariens seem to have more metal and less plastic, see I go back and forth.Please help ! Need to buy soon! Thanks for your suggestions.
Replies: 29 - 34 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
klennop

Reply #29   Oct 20, 2011 4:44 pm
Well I went in to look at them both again today and after looking at them, moving them around, running them, etc. I feel the Ariens is just a better machine and you get more for your money.

So I walked out with the Ariens Platinum 30. I got a smoking deal on it, which is why I pulled the trigger on it today. Plus they threw in a pair of the composite skids.

I am not going to look back from here, just going to look forward at all the snow I am blowing!!
aa335

Reply #30   Oct 20, 2011 5:56 pm
Nice, I'm sure you enjoy your new snowblower.  How did you do with the price?
aa335

Reply #31   Oct 20, 2011 6:12 pm
coasteray wrote:
I find myself intrigued with that Pro 28 with the big 420cc engine, not for bragging rights or for a mythical increase in impeller speed, but simply to be able to properly chew through heavy stuff without slowing down the engine like smaller ones can do.  I can't afford it, though.  I'm really looking at the Platinum 24 at this point.  But the Toro is still pretty cool in its own way, but i can't afforfd that one, either!  Maybe if I come across a good used Toro 1028OXE, well, now, that could change everything.  I can't wait to see what I end up with.  Maybe Craigslist will turn up something entirely different.

I am curently using a 32" wide snowblower with a 337cc engine, never felt it lacked power.  We rarely get more than 12" of snow at a time.  Once or twice a year, there are 20-24" blizzards, which is kind of fun since I get to bail out 3 of my neighbors EOD 30" high concrete mix and about 200 feet of sidewalks.  Last year, I had neighbors standing around holding their shovels while watching the snow fly from the chute like a fire hose.  Got thumbs up and cookies the next several days.  Priceless.

I was looking at the Pro 28 a week ago and was tempted by that massive 420cc engine.  Wow!  Talk about putting a hot knife through butter.  Not that I really need another snowblower like Steve_Cebu does,   just Jonesing.  If I can get the blue painted bucket at that orange bucket price, there will be no hesitation.
This message was modified Oct 20, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #32   Oct 20, 2011 6:44 pm
aa335 wrote:
I am curently using a 32" wide snowblower with a 337cc engine, never felt it lacked power.  We rarely get more than 12" of snow at a time.  Once or twice a year, there are 20-24" blizzards, which is kind of fun since I get to bail out 3 of my neighbors EOD 30" high concrete mix and about 200 feet of sidewalks.  Last year, I had neighbors standing around holding their shovels while watching the snow fly from the chute like a fire hose.  Got thumbs up and cookies the next several days.  Priceless.

I was looking at the Pro 28 a week ago and was tempted by that massive 420cc engine.  Wow!  Talk about putting a hot knife through butter.  Not that I really need another snowblower like Steve_Cebu does,   just Jonesing.  If I can get the blue painted bucket at that orange bucket price, there will be no hesitation.

I need another snowblower, but only if I win one in a raffle. That way my wife could do half the drieveway although with her new job the only time she will have is on the weekend and not every weekend.

The only snowblower I would consider over the Toro at this moment is a Yamaha with tracks and a key start. The cool factor alone would be amazing. Paying $5K for one isn't in the budget, but for free, absolutely!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
stresst

Reply #33   Oct 23, 2011 6:00 pm
aa335 wrote:

I really depends on where you live....I lived in an area that only received moderate snow falls I would buy the widest unit that I can fit in my garage. But since we have been getting 20-26" blizzards the last 3 years I would never go more then 26-28" wide. Any wider then that you simply cannot cut through EOD mountains left by DSNY!

I too was looking at the Pro 28 but I need to sell my Toro before spending another 2k!

TORO 826OXE
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #34   Oct 26, 2011 5:12 am
coasteray wrote:
I find myself intrigued with that Pro 28 with the big 420cc engine, not for bragging rights or for a mythical increase in impeller speed, but simply to be able to properly chew through heavy stuff without slowing down the engine like smaller ones can do.  I can't afford it, though.  I'm really looking at the Platinum 24 at this point.  But the Toro is still pretty cool in its own way, but I can't afford that one, either!  Maybe if I come across a good used Toro 1028OXE, well, now, that could change everything.  I can't wait to see what I end up with.  Maybe Craigslist will turn up something entirely different.

How funny!  How prophetic, in fact!!  I ended up buying a 2008 Toro 1028LXE just three days later from Craigslist, for only $600.   Great condition.  Tecumseh 358cc, 10-11 horse.   I still love Ariens, but I can't wait to start using my "new" Toro and see how it goes. 

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 29 - 34 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42