Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Pro track 26-28

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

Ariens Pro track 26-28
Original Message   Oct 19, 2011 12:55 am
What do you guys feel about Ariens  track driven snow blowers? I want  a track model that will turn easy
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Coldfingers

Re: Ariens Pro track 26-28
Reply #1   Oct 19, 2011 2:54 pm
I have a "26" pro track model and I think it turns great, if you have the bucket down its harder to turn but when you get to, say, the end of the driveway you just click the front end up and spin it around and then drop it back down again. It has three different notches to lock the height into and then it also has a lock on the right side to lock both tracks but in that mode it wants to just go straight ahead.
stresst

Reply #2   Oct 19, 2011 9:54 pm
bus708 wrote:
What do you guys feel about Ariens  track driven snow blowers? I want  a track model that will turn easy

I was told no tracked unit turns easily. Living in the city (small property) there are no long runs so im constantly turning.....I would have loved a tracked unit!

TORO 826OXE
Coldfingers

Reply #3   Oct 19, 2011 11:06 pm
I wanted to get a honda track drive unit to start with but I was told that they don't turn easily being they have the hydro drive? I like the honda power equipment but after hearing about this I bought the areins instead. Someone later said once you get the nack of how the turn they aren't bad either, I can't say.
FrankMA

Reply #4   Oct 20, 2011 5:48 am
Last winter was my first using my new to me Honda HS928TA track drive. I was a bit apprehensive about going the track drive route myself as I had heard many horror stories concerning the difficulties turning the beast. I got a decent deal as a friend got transferred down south and no longer needed his barely used machine so I figured I'd give it a shot and if I did not like it, I would just sell it and move on.

As other track drive owners (not one time users) will tell you, it's all about technique and finesse. Yes, it's difficult to move unpowered in your garage (keep it on a dolly and problem solved) but under power and on snow, it turns rather easily. I have a fairly  long +/- 130' slightly sloped driveway, a good sized EOD area and many walkways going to my firewood storage areas and the tracks work out well for my situation. My cleaning time after a 8" - 12" storm is about 2 - 3 hours depending on the density of the snow. I would not recommend a track drive to someone who has a lot of tight turns and detail work to perform but for large EOD work, straight runs and sloped areas, the tracks can't be beat, especially with the hydrostatic transmission.

This message was modified Oct 20, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #5   Oct 20, 2011 11:10 am
I'm on my third year using a tracked snowblower, and this is my first 2 stage snowblower as well.   I went for the biggest HS1132 machine without any experience operating a 2 stage snowblower.  It does require coordinated effort to turning versus wheeled snowblower with differentials, especially on high friction surfaces.  Tracked snowblower and hydrostatic transmission snowblower does not roll down the hill on its own.  I have a steep driveway and ice makes going up and down without tracks a nightmare.  It has pulled me up the driveway a couple of times when I just dont have enough traction on my feet to walk up.

I'm so used to tracks now that it doesn't feel heavier or awkward.  If you have bad back or hips, tracks are not for you.  You will be more active operating and staying warm, so there's no need for handwarmers.  Snowblower cabs are more useful when it's really windy and cold outside, I use thinner gloves when behind a cab.  I never had any need for handwarmers.  Lights comes in useful occasionally, but they're more for keeping me visible to cars.

Another point of track snowblower is that it can climb stairs.  This should be approached with caution though.  It can also climb up on snow mound so you can cut down tall mountains by layers.

I have two single stage snowblower for finish work and in close quarters near the house, when it's too tight for the track snowblower to move in.
This message was modified Oct 20, 2011 by aa335
bus708

Reply #6   Oct 20, 2011 11:57 am
Coldfingers wrote:
I have a "26" pro track model and I think it turns great, if you have the bucket down its harder to turn but when you get to, say, the end of the driveway you just click the front end up and spin it around and then drop it back down again. It has three different notches to lock the height into and then it also has a lock on the right side to lock both tracks but in that mode it wants to just go straight ahead.

With only one track driving in the unlocked mode, isn't the unit always trying to turn? I know it has a differential. Does the differential help it to go straight in the UNLOCKED mode, or do you have to fight it?
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42