Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Platinum ST30DLE or Toro Power Max® 1028OXE Please help!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tgseaver

Original Message   Oct 14, 2011 6:27 am
Going back and forth as to which one! Same price, Local dealers that service, like the look of both. Kinda leaning toward the Ariens only cause of the bigger engine 342 vs 305,is that a good reason?,or is 28" Toro a little more nibble to move around. Ariens seem to have more metal and less plastic, see I go back and forth.Please help ! Need to buy soon! Thanks for your suggestions.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
tgseaver

Reply #12   Oct 18, 2011 6:30 am
Klennop, Great post, good to know other people are going thur the same exact process ( with no skin in the game). I did go to a Ariens dealer and played with the Platinum's controls and got use to them quickly,I liked everything else about the Ariens, just seems to have more beef to it because of the steel. I am going to the Toro dealer today .................stay tuned............ but the Ariens is in the lead.
FrankMA

Reply #13   Oct 18, 2011 9:40 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Why not buy the bigger Toro and sell or trade in your old one?

I think the problem you will have is that if you go with the 1128 you will have that PITA bar to deal with. Commercial guys up in my area buy the 1028 because that bar can malfunction and then you are stuck.

My dealer even suggested that I get the 1028 over the 1128 for this reason and they had plenty of both

Here is a pic of it and here is the description.

Pivoting Scraper

Available exclusively on the Toro Power Max 1128 OXE, this innovative design allows the scraper to pivot front to back, clearing down to the pavement and preventing sudden stops from cracks or contours.

Any type of mechanical device in that area of the bucket is just asking for trouble. It's a nice concept but I could see sand (or other debris) getting caught up in between the scrapper blade and bucket and causing a jam. 

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
stresst

Reply #14   Oct 18, 2011 8:58 pm
I spoke to the dealer today regarding a new engine as well as a new blower. First off a complete engine is not available, only the shortblock for the 10 & 11hp. I was hoping to sell my complete short block after I made the swap to recoup some cash. Price for short block and labor $700.00.

I asked about the 1028 & 1128. He said he sells more 1028 because of the price differance. He said many opt for the 828 and 1028, he said he sells his share of the 1128's and has not heard of an issue with the scrapper since 2006 when they had many issues.

TORO 826OXE
klennop

Reply #15   Oct 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Another thing I was thinking about today...again it is about the plastic. If you notice the really high end blowers from Yamaha and Honda which are easily double to triple the cost of what we are looking at don't have any plastic on them. Look at how much plastic they use on their motorcycles, snowmobiles, generators, etc. however none of them use it on their snowblowers.

Now look at the cheaper brands such as MTD, they use a ton of plastic, much like the Toro.

Just some food for thought.
aa335

Reply #16   Oct 18, 2011 11:25 pm
klennop wrote:
Another thing I was thinking about today...again it is about the plastic. If you notice the really high end blowers from Yamaha and Honda which are easily double to triple the cost of what we are looking at don't have any plastic on them. Look at how much plastic they use on their motorcycles, snowmobiles, generators, etc. however none of them use it on their snowblowers.

Now look at the cheaper brands such as MTD, they use a ton of plastic, much like the Toro.

Just some food for thought.

Yamaha and Honda high end models (which we don't get in the US) comes with metal chutes that are lined with plastic.  Some members of this forum also have lined their chutes with plastic with benefits of slippery surface for higher chute velocity and less snow/ice sticking.  So they do come with plastic, strategically placed where it makes sense.  Honda and Yamaha is not going to crazy with plastic everywhere because customers dropping $3000+ on a snowblower as a long term investment is going to expect a good amount of metal.

While cheaper brands do utilize more plastics, it is not an indicator of poorer quality.  How it's used and where it's used is more important.  Homeowner snowblower are usually designed with higher convenience and ease of use in mind.  The Quick Stick feature of the Toro is only possible with the use of plastic chute.  Metal chutes are too heavy to move around quickly using the Quick Stick mechanism. 

Also cheaper brands do have more plastics in them, to meet price points that big box store customers expect, on top of the promotion and sales going on.  Consumers wants cheap OPE with big engines and features, whether or not they consciously aware of the trade offs in quality and performance.

For commercial use, the perception is that plastic chute will not hold up to the constant bombardment of snow and other debris.  This is partially true.  Design engineers don't go out of their way to change commercial user perception of plastic, just give them what they want and call it a day.  Properly designed chutes and material selection can make plastic chute just as good as metal chute, but why go change their mind if they want they don't want to.

Toro has always been criticized for using too much plastic in their snowblower.  A lot of that comes from non-Toro owners who do not own or use Toro.  However, there aren't too many actual Toro owners complaining about the plastics failing.  People are usually more apt to voice their dissatisfaction than praise.  If there is any complaint, it is the lightweight front end which tends to ride over the snow more easily than heavier buckets.  Other than that, Toro overall as a snowblower system seems to work and people have been happy.
This message was modified Oct 19, 2011 by aa335
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #17   Oct 18, 2011 11:38 pm
Ever see what happens to plastic after it gets a good hard knock...when it's forty below zero?

aa335

Reply #18   Oct 18, 2011 11:40 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
Ever see what happens to plastic after it gets a good hard knock...when it's forty below zero?

It shatters.

A lot of people don't live in -40 climates.
mvedepo

Reply #19   Oct 19, 2011 1:09 am
Not going to snow much at -40.  Interesting tidbit, -40C is the same as -40F. 
aa335

Reply #20   Oct 19, 2011 1:13 am
mvedepo wrote:
Not going to snow much at -40.  Interesting tidbit, -40C is the same as -40F. 

Exactly! 
klennop

Reply #21   Oct 19, 2011 9:17 am
aa335 wrote:
Yamaha and Honda high end models (which we don't get in the US) comes with metal chutes that are lined with plastic.  Some members of this forum also have lined their chutes with plastic with benefits of slippery surface for higher chute velocity and less snow/ice sticking.  So they do come with plastic, strategically placed where it makes sense.  Honda and Yamaha is not going to crazy with plastic everywhere because customers dropping $3000+ on a snowblower as a long term investment is going to expect a good amount of metal.

While cheaper brands do utilize more plastics, it is not an indicator of poorer quality.  How it's used and where it's used is more important.  Homeowner snowblower are usually designed with higher convenience and ease of use in mind.  The Quick Stick feature of the Toro is only possible with the use of plastic chute.  Metal chutes are too heavy to move around quickly using the Quick Stick mechanism. 

Also cheaper brands do have more plastics in them, to meet price points that big box store customers expect, on top of the promotion and sales going on.  Consumers wants cheap OPE with big engines and features, whether or not they consciously aware of the trade offs in quality and performance.

For commercial use, the perception is that plastic chute will not hold up to the constant bombardment of snow and other debris.  This is partially true.  Design engineers don't go out of their way to change commercial user perception of plastic, just give them what they want and call it a day.  Properly designed chutes and material selection can make plastic chute just as good as metal chute, but why go change their mind if they want they don't want to.

Toro has always been criticized for using too much plastic in their snowblower.  A lot of that comes from non-Toro owners who do not own or use Toro.  However, there aren't too many actual Toro owners complaining about the plastics failing.  People are usually more apt to voice their dissatisfaction than praise.  If there is any complaint, it is the lightweight front end which tends to ride over the snow more easily than heavier buckets.  Other than that, Toro overall as a snowblower system seems to work and people have been happy.

I do agree with you on most of what you are saying but I just want to point a couple things out.

I am spending $1600+ on a snowblower so why should I settle for a bunch of plastic when the Ariens has all metal like the more expensive models. If the use of plastic isn't a indicator of poor quality on main components then why do all the high end models not use a full plastic chute or have their controls made out of plastic?

You may be right about the Quick Stick on the Toro not being able to work because of the weight of the metal chute. Well then why not make the controls out of metal to work with a metal chute? It is to save on cost right? Well then how come they don't beef up the motor to the same size of the Areins with all the money they saved using the plastic parts. I don't see any of the savings passed on to the consumer.

I have been pretty lucky with the plastic chute on my Crapsman but you know there were quite a few times I was expecting to have a hole. So have I been lucky...maybe...or does the plastic work like it should?? I just have a hard time buying another machine with the plastic chute. We get into the 40 below with windchill where I am at and again maybe I have been lucky.

As far as snow sticking to the metal, I have never had an issue with this on any device I have used in the past so I don't see that as being a problem.

As I also mentioned earlier if the plastic chute aids in less resistance, why does the Toro throw the snow less distance than the Ariens with a metal chute?

I do agree with the comment about the light front, like I also said earlier, you can buy a weight for $80 more to rectify this. For what? To make it like the Ariens where you don't have to pay extra.

I have nothing against Toro, I have owned 2 mowers, one of the smaller power curve units and an older larger Toro with the power shift system. I just feel like they are cheaping out vs the competition. Would I be happy with either unit, probably but I think bang for buck the Areins wins. I may go look at them again today.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42