Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need Advice On Preparing A Used Toro CCR 3650 For Winter

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Summerwinds

Simplicity 924i, Toro 3650

Need Advice On Preparing A Used Toro CCR 3650 For Winter
Original Message   Sep 29, 2011 8:51 pm
I just acquired a used Toro CCR 3650 single stage 6.5 horsepower snowblower that is approximately 3 to 5 years old. My other snowblower is a Simplicity 924E dual stage 9 horsepower. I use the Simplicity for snow that totals 3 to 4 inches and up. Since my paved driveway is over 60 feet long the Toro will be welcome for the smaller snows. It's a lot faster and easier than shoveling by hand! Here is my question. What would you suggest I do to prepare the Toro for use? It has been stored unused in a garage for about two years and had minimal use prior to being stored. Besides the obvious new spark plug, fresh oil and gas is there anything else I should do to get it ready for winter?  I appreciate your advice.  
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
superbuick

Re: Need Advice On Preparing A Used Toro CCR 3650 For Winter
Reply #1   Sep 29, 2011 11:25 pm
Thats basically all there is to it. 2 strokes are nice and easy that way :-). Was it stored withou fuel in it? (please say yes)
FrankMA

Reply #2   Sep 30, 2011 8:04 am
You might want to check the belt for any type of dry rot just so you don't get stranded the first time you go to use it. Not a bad idea to have a spare belt on hand anyway just in case. Also, make sure the scrapper bar still has plenty of meat left on it as you don't want to wear down the bucket. Other than that, I'd say you're good to go for the upcoming season. You're really going to appreciate using a single stage on the smaller snowfalls - good luck!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #3   Sep 30, 2011 11:54 am
I've just gone through this with a 10 year old Honda single stage snowblower last year:  Your Toro is newer so it may need not need all of these things:

1.  Check rubber paddles and replace them with new ones if it's 75% more worn down.   Get OEM parts, the knock off seems to not hold up as well.
2.  Check the condition of the auger belt, make sure it has the right tension when engaged. 
3.  Lubricate the pivot points of the belt tensioner and all the linkages that moves when the bail lever is activated.  Make sure the auger is stops when you let the bail lever go.
4.  Check the bail cable for kinks and binding.
4.  Make sure fasteners are in good shape and not rusted or loose that they can fall off.
5.  Check the chute rotation and deflection movement.  Tighten fasteners and/or lubricate as needed.
6.  Take care of small rust spots you can find.
7.  Add an inline fuel filter and fuel shut off it doesn't have one.  While you are at it, get fresh fuel tubing. 
8.  Check to see that the auger spins freely without binding, with the bail lever squeezed lightly but not fully engaged. If it does bind, the support bearings may need replacement.
This message was modified Sep 30, 2011 by aa335
Summerwinds

Reply #4   Sep 30, 2011 12:02 pm
Thanks for your excellent advice. I plan to take the Toro apart this weekend to see how it looks inside. What type of inline fuel filter do you recommend? Can the filter be found at an auto parts store?  I assume I should splice the filter into the fuel line?
aa335

Reply #5   Sep 30, 2011 12:09 pm
Inline fuel filter can be found at OPE dealers, hardware stores, or auto parts store.  They are easily found at the lawn mower parts section.  I don't have a particular brand, but all you need is a small filter with the proper size nipple to fit the fuel tubing.

By the way, is your CCR3650 comes with the Suzuki 2 stroke engine?
This message was modified Sep 30, 2011 by aa335
Summerwinds

Reply #6   Sep 30, 2011 12:27 pm
I don't know if it is a Suzuki motor but I will find out when I remove the exterior panels. So Toro does not manufacture its own motor?
aa335

Reply #7   Oct 1, 2011 2:41 pm
I don't think Toro makes their own engines.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42