Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2012 Ariens Snothros

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Snowmann

2012 Ariens Snothros
Original Message   May 7, 2011 8:00 pm
If anyone's interested, a digital scan of the pocket guide for 2012...

http://postimage.org/image/1uvxgifc4/

http://postimage.org/image/1yu11po04/

Direct links, file sizes too big to insert...
This message was modified May 7, 2011 by Snowmann
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
kc571

Re: 2012 Ariens Snothros
Reply #5   Sep 28, 2011 3:00 pm
Hi Glen,

I'm interested in getting an Ariens.  But totally new to this type of machinery.  HD has a decent deal on Ariens 24 compact and deluxe.  Sounds like you have some experience in selecting these.  Any advice?  I live in NJ and have a double driveway. 

Appreciate you advice!
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #6   Sep 30, 2011 5:17 am
Well, the thread began months ago, but oh well. The season's just starting, so it's still good. I'm curious about the 2011/2012 Briggs engine lineup. Last year the Platinum 24 had a 249cc engine, Now it's 250cc. What's with that? New engine altogether? Is it still true about the 205cc and 249/250cc engines that are made in China but have either forged or cast cranks, and have ball bearings on the crank? Also the new 305cc and 342cc engines run with sleeve bearings instead of ball bearings? Egad, that new 420cc!! What a big engine. It has the cast-iron sleeve, but I assume all the other Briggs engines in this year's lineup are aluminum sleeve? Does it really matter in real life longevity terms? It would be nice if the Ariens web site would add an "Engine Specs" link that would show in a chart exactly what each engine has inside - type of bearings, crank, sleeve, assembled in China, Ariens' tougher specs for those Chinese Briggs, and more. It's pretty hard for most people to dig around to get good information like that. Maybe add this stuff to the printed brochures, too. The new lineup looks great, though, especially the across-the-line cast iron gearcase and the beefier control deck. The newer light design is nice, but it would be good to have a switch to turn it off during the daytime. I don't know if any snowblower manufacturer has a light switch. The new look for the hand levers is pretty nice, too. It would be a lot nicer to have left and right wheel triggers on the Deluxe models, like Toro and Husqvarna have, instead of that right-wheel-only release. Then you'd have total control and a really nice option to the Automatic Traction Control for those who want a choice.
This message was modified Sep 30, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Snowmann

Reply #7   Sep 30, 2011 11:19 pm
kc571 wrote:
Hi Glen,

I'm interested in getting an Ariens.  But totally new to this type of machinery.  HD has a decent deal on Ariens 24 compact and deluxe.  Sounds like you have some experience in selecting these.  Any advice?  I live in NJ and have a double driveway. 

Appreciate you advice!

In NJ I'd get the Deluxe 24. It's only $100 more, but you get alot. Bigger engine, dual auger belts, 14" impeller, larger CI gear case, larger augers, etc... If I was in Indiana though, maybe a Compact. Easier to handle.
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42