Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > HR-215- Transmission- intermitent

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
COIL

HR-215- Transmission- intermitent
Original Message   Jul 22, 2011 1:17 am
I have a 10 year old Honda HR-215-SXA (I believe) with a transmission issue.  I borowed it from my inlaws and it hasn't ran for about 8 years. Everything works fine but the transmission.   I began running it with the clutch engaged to see if it would "kick in" while mowing.  It didn't until the second time i used it and it kicked in at times when I was either pushing down or up hill and/or  out of level in one way or another.  It seems to me like a linkage problem.??  Any comments would be greatly appreicated....
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
trouts2

Re: HR-215- Transmission- intermitent
Reply #1   Jul 25, 2011 1:27 pm

If the transmission then a problem.   You could check that by taking off a wheel and see if the drive axle is turning when it’s supposed to.

It’s possible for the issue to be out at the wheels.  The drive axle turns when engaged.  There is a keyed slot out at each end of the axle.  There is a small hole and spring under each key.  The springs push the key up to catch the drive gear.   The drive gear drives the teeth on the inside of the wheel.  Those components are held in position by two clip rings. 

You can take the wheel assembly off and see what is going on in there. 

The plastic wheel teeth could be the problem. 

The assembly may be out of line due to a clip ring falling off.

The assembly may be out of line due to the wheel position catch being away from the catches on the wheel height bracket.

The springs may be rusted and the key sticking in low position not catching the drive gear.

Taking the wheel off and looking around in there will probably expose what is wrong.

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42