Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Lawn/Yard Tractor for a slope

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
vettebob1

Lawn/Yard Tractor for a slope
Original Message   May 31, 2011 12:20 pm
I realize that this question has been asked.  And I may not have read enough questions/discussions to maybe find an answer.  But I will ask anyway.(I'm new to this forum)
I have a 'slope' that is approximately 1/2 acre in size.  My Toro 21" walk behind mower can do it.  I've only 'smoked' it a couple of times so a 'splash' oil engine can work but I would rather have a full pressure.  It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to do not counting the (2) 15 minute breaks.  I'm 65 but in good shape so it's something I can handle.......at the moment.

I would like to buy a Lawn/Yard tractor to do the job.  The John Deere rep came to the house and said that the X300 series could handle the job with no problems.  The hydrostatic transmission would work nicely he says.  He did suggest that I also have them put fluid in the tires to help with the 'center of gravity' to keep it low to ground?  The cost: $3100 plus tax and delivery.  Retail is $2999 but with the fluid addition and such that brought the price up.

Consumers Reports rated the Craftsman "Yard" tractor LT4000....model #28856..... with a 24 HP B/S engine and 42" deck higher than the X300.  They gave it a Best Buy rating.  I told the Sears rep about John Deere saying I needed fluid in tires.....he responded with 'wheel weights'.  The Craftsman tractor is about 1/2 the cost of the JD.  But..........is it as 'hardy' and strong for my situation?  I don't think Consumers Reports tested on slopes? 

The John Deere describes their transmissions, kinda.  The Craftsman does not.....it only says premium hydrostatic, whatever that is suppose to mean.

Is anyone willing to go out on a limb and recommend one over the other?  The JD does comes with a 4 year warranty while the Craftsman comes with 2.  But at half the price????? I think all things considered the two choices might be close.........except for the transmission????

Thanks
Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42