Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What kind of pressure washer do you have?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Hammond

What kind of pressure washer do you have?
Original Message   May 20, 2011 1:30 am

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a pressure washer to use out in the chicken yard.  I want to spray my open air/raised coops (wire floors), inside walls of my chicken coops/houses (as needed to remove poop and dirt), knock down cob webs on the outside of my chicken and anything else that needs high powered cleaning. 

Right now I am cleaning and scrubbing everything by hand with soap and water and my back is killing me.  It's taking me all day long to do my chores on the weekend in the chicken yard.  I need to reduce my cleaning time and the amount of torture that I am putting on my back.

Who has a pressure washer?  What kind of pressure washer would you suggest me to purchase so that I can take care of this type of work in the chicken yard?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
longboat

Re: What kind of pressure washer do you have?
Reply #1   May 20, 2011 9:39 am
The weak link in a pressure washer is the pump.  If you want a quality pressure washer that will last decades, get one that has a rebuildable pump - good pumps are made by CAT and Comet.  If the mfr. won't tell you who made the pump on the pressure washer, you probably don't want it.

Home Depot's house brand, RIDGID, has some good pressure washers with CAT pumps, along with a lifetime warranty.

Santaclause

Reply #2   May 22, 2011 8:55 pm
I have a craftsman its five yrs old work pretty good 2500 psi, but like anything else you get what you pay for and opt for the rebuilable pump.....
Paul7

Reply #3   May 22, 2011 9:51 pm
I had a 2500 psi Troy-bilt with a Honda GC engine and it worked well.  I gave it to my son-in-law and replaced it with a 3000 psi troy-bilt with a B&S Intek.  The extra psi is very noticeable as I can now reach the top of my 2 story house when I power wash it.  With the 2500 I could only reach the second story windows.  What the others said about the pump quality is good advice.  The pump is the weak link.  My current power washer is on its fifth year and gets used about four hours a year so that's around 20 hours total.  The pump just started to leak oil and isn't designed to be serviced or rebuilt. 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #4   Jun 26, 2011 9:58 am
Pessure washers are put together units from different manufacturers of components regardless of who's Brand appears on the label. I bought an off brand unit by American Turbo Pressure Washers over the net because it had the right components. Honda GX engine, Comet Pump (I called Comet and found out that the specific pump was rebuildable), a powder coated frame with inflatable tires,  a 25' hose , and a trigger wand with four different spray nozzles. The unit also has a temperature bypass valve on the pump which allows fresh water to flow through the pump if you let the engine run while not spraying. If you do this since the pump is turning against the closed trigger valve the temp goes up. The temp reaches a certain level and the valve opens letting fresh water cool the pump.

The pumps are rated in hours and the Comet on mine is rated at 1000 hrs min. The tech at Comet said if you check the oil level in the pump crank case and fill the pump with anti freeze if stored in an unheated shed the pump will last 2 or 3 times the thousand hours before needing a rebuild. If you don't use the anti freeze in the unheated shed scenario and there is residual water  in the pump it's toast the following spring.

I saved  $200 off of similarly equipped national brands at the time. Blank carts are available on the net so you can buy components and "roll your own" but you won't save any money.

The quality of the components are what counts- For what it's worth my research found that Karcher was of lesser quality than most. PS- In addition to what Longboat said regarding Comet and Cat being quality pumps General is also in their class. Marc

This message was modified Jun 30, 2011 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Paul7

Reply #5   Jul 2, 2011 5:01 pm
mml4 wrote:
 If you don't use the anti freeze in the unheated shed scenario and there is residual water  in the pump it's toast the following spring.

This is exactly what happened to mine.  I never even thought to use anti freeze...I'm paying for that mistake now.
chadsie

Reply #6   Aug 6, 2012 4:17 pm
Since you will be more than likely indoors...i would use an electric pressure washer. However, if your chicken coups are outside i would look into buying a gas powered. They tend to last longer. 1200 to 2000 psi would be sufficient for what you are looking for.

This message was modified Aug 6, 2012 by chadsie
BeerZman

Honda John Deer combo
Reply #7   Dec 11, 2012 10:12 pm
I wondered how to come up with a good pressure washer myself as I borrowed a lot of junk from friends which was frustrating

What I ended up thinking was...

"Who makes a good pump/valve body" 

Then I thought what about John Deer they have them on all there equipment and have been making them for years!

"Who makes a good small motor"  Of course HONDA came to mind....

I researched them online and Yes JD had pressure washers and Yes they had HONDA motors!

Well I went down to the local dealership to check them out and came home with a real nice one!

It has a 5 HP Honda on there BUT the VALVE BODY...well it is huge...like 1/2 the size of the Honda motor or more

and it just works Perfectly and powerful as all get out...Here is a picture of mine...Originally the motor was all black

but when I lent it out people kept on leaning on the muffler and getting burnt when pulling to start it...A little CHEVY Orange solves that

"Dont touch the Orange!" 

Look at that valve body..now that's a pump!

Cheers

BeerZ

This message was modified Dec 11, 2012 by BeerZman
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42