Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower Companies Market Share

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Scotiaman

Snowblower Companies Market Share
Original Message   Jan 31, 2005 8:58 pm
Hi All, have heard a lot of you wondering about the market share each snowthrower company has, found this site below which shows the numbers for snowthrowers and a lot of other things (snowthrowers is toward the bottom of the page)

http://www.ammagazine.com/FILES/HTML/PDF/0402marketprofile.pdf

Looks like MTD, Toro, AYP, Ariens, and Murray dominate the sales overall.   Surprised to see a company like Simplicity at only 1%, but shows why you don't hear much about them and others on this board.  Anyhow hope you find the site useful.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Snowblower Companies Market Share
Reply #9   Feb 1, 2005 11:37 am
LOL, I have one that gets used three times a year, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Otherwise it collects dust.
spottedpony

Reply #10   Feb 1, 2005 12:59 pm
Marshall wrote:
LOL, I have one that gets used three times a year, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Otherwise it collects dust.

you only use the snowblower on those 3 days???
Marshall

Reply #11   Feb 1, 2005 1:32 pm
Yea, I put the turkey through it and point the chute toward the table.

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #12   Feb 1, 2005 7:13 pm
Some of those Murray, AYP and MTD come from Sears/Craftsman.  They seem to juggle The mix of their inventories/models with these compaines in different volumes through the years.  (I guess due to bids and timed contracts etc.)    Probably a lot of you out there who could qualify this statement better than I.   

Two points I would like to make with that.  #1 I think it would be interesting to see how many total are sold under the craftsman badge)  #2 I would love to see lets say an Ariens,rebadged as a Craftsman, sitting beside lets say the MTD.  Their numbers would jump.  (nothing against any of these brands, Murray is not an Ariens, but It is not an MTD either, and Mtd has value for the price etc)     

However you get a lot of "Tim the tool man Taylors" shopping at Sears, for tools.  Sears has a high percentage of good stuff in their tools category. A lot of them are the ones buying the Sears snow blowers when they need one.  They don't have time to go full guns researching snowthrowers, as their specialty may be wood power tools, or very good backyard auto mechanics. Their interest is quality tools, so put the Ariens on the floor.   IMO It will get a decent share of sales even at the relative higher price.   

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Marshall

Reply #13   Feb 1, 2005 8:38 pm
Agreed, Home Depot proves your point.
robmints

Reply #14   Feb 1, 2005 9:18 pm
The one thing I was thinking as I was reading was how much the snowblower maket in general has changed in the last several years. Even since that study ended.

Alot more people that I feel would have never bought a snowblower before, have gotten them in the last five years. It might just be my perception, but many friends and neighbors that I thought liked to shovel and would never own such a "luxury" have snowblowers now.

It would be real nice to see what the criteria was. One big thing, it was units sold not the dollar value. The total dollar value is much more important, I think. I feel that is the true "market share". Also were they just "residential units". Other headings were for "commercial" products. Snowblowers were not split out  "commercial" and "residential".
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #15   Feb 1, 2005 9:48 pm
robmints wrote:
Alot more people that I feel would have never bought a snowblower before, have gotten them in the last five years. It might just be my perception, but many friends and neighbors that I thought liked to shovel and would never own such a "luxury" have snowblowers now.

Rob - hate to break this to you, but its called "getting old".  Until this year, I was a shoveling man.  15" of heavy packing snow - all the better my work out.  Then, this fall, I felt a muscle spasm when I was picking up some 20lb object.  I knew, based on my father's history of back problems, that I was heading in the same direction and didn't want to be on my back for a week because I liked to shovel.

"Welcome to middle age. ", is what my wife said.

--SnowShoveler

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
nibbler

Reply #16   Feb 2, 2005 9:41 am
terrapin24h wrote:
This cracked me up when I read it   I think i can explain why...Electric knives are "token" wedding/bridal shower gifts.  Between our wedding gifts and my wife's shower, we got 4.  Now have this vision of this elaborate gift table at a wedding(very "ralph-lauren") and sitting on top of is a toro snowcommander,  and an ariens 722ec, each with a bow on top :)

Sounds excellent, whats your point? :-)
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #17   Feb 2, 2005 9:53 am
nibbler wrote:
Sounds excellent, whats your point? :-)

LOL

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #18   Feb 2, 2005 1:26 pm

What's his point?  .  Could be getting equal time with a  "GROOM REGISTRY."

What an Idea.  If someone would have given me engraved wrenches,  a lot of em wouldn't have ended up in my buddies toolboxes,  or jogged their memory to return something once in a while. 

Had a work buddy ask me what I wanted for a wedding gift.  I told him I needed a good set of drill bits..  Which I did, but it was a joke.  He kept asking, and I stuck with the same thing.  Well long story, but that is what I got.  Drill bits tied to a bottle of good wine.  My wife needed the wine right away when she opened that gift.  

Best gift we got IMO. 

Still have em.They are my good ones that I keep tucked away from my everyday stuff.

When I need the right one I know I have one. 

Definately a gift to remember ya by and it keeps on giving.

This message was modified Feb 2, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42