Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Putting Belt back on Ariens 824

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mason156

Putting Belt back on Ariens 824
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 11:51 am
The other day the attachment/Auger belt jumped off the pulley of my Ariens 824.  (Thankfully it happened after I had cleared the whole driveway).  The belt is still intact. According to the manual, I have to remove the whole front housing to replace the belt.  My questions are:

1.  Do I REALLY have to remove the housing?
2.  If I do have to remove the housing,  How bad is that? 
3.  If I do have to remove the housing, is is worth replacing both the belts while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance,.

Steve
Replies: 8 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mason156

Re: Putting Belt back on Ariens 824
Reply #8   Jan 31, 2005 8:12 pm
I finally got the chance to address my problem today and found that both approaches (taking the housing off and not taking the housing off) were right.

I first removed the belt cover and bottom plate, drained the fuel, and tipped the machine onto the Auger housing.  Sure enough, it was easy to put the belt back on the pulleys and get myself back in business.  After I put the belt on, I tipped the unit back, added some fuel and started it up to check for problems.

The Auger pulley was shimmying and the belt was dancing around.  Closer inspection revealed that the cast hub that attached the pulley to the shaft was cracked.  I followed the instructions in the manual and split the housing from the engine assembly (using the tailgate of  my pickup instead of a milk crate).  It wasn't a bad job at all.  Turns out my local dealer has the part in stock, so I should be back in action tomorrow.  (I will swap the belts as well.)

Thanks to all for your advice.  It made the job very easy and worry-free.

Steve
Replies: 8 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42