Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > So I Went To See The Amsoil Man

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

So I Went To See The Amsoil Man
Original Message   Jan 31, 2005 7:51 pm
Needed a quart of 5w30 for the blower  and while at the guy's house got into a discussion concerning gear lube. I have been using Castrol 80-90 Hypoid Gear Oil in my machines gear box . The manual calls for SAE 90 but nobody manufactures a straight weight Hypoid that I could find so I came as close as I could. The thing is the castrol is really viscous in cold weather and being that the gearbox is always coated in snow and turns at so slow a speed I wonder if it ever really thins out.

This Amsoil guy works out of his house and keeps his stock in an unheated shed in his back yard. He brings back a quart of Amsoil stock # AGL80-90  Gear Lube. The container is clear plastic and  was ice cold from being stored in the shed .I turned it upside down and the flow was unbelieveable. Not thick or viscous at all! The guy said it won't thicken more than 90wt. and won't ever be thinner than 80wt at some rediculous below zero degree figure. Needless to say I bought it.

They make several different kinds of gear lube but the AGL is the replacement for the SAE types. If you consider looking at this product make sure your machine calls for gear oil and not grease.

Good stuff,

Marc  

This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 1 - 14 of 14View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 14 of 14View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42