Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda 1132 - changing oil confusion

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tkrotchko

Honda 1132 - changing oil confusion
Original Message   Mar 13, 2011 4:41 pm
So I'm putting this thing away this afternoon, I changed the oil, I'm draining the gas, cleaning it up. And now I'm puzzled with the oil capacity of the engine.

The oil capacity of the GX340 is listed at 1.16 quarts (I hate they do this; make it even quarts or half quarts or something, but that's a different topic). This works out to around 38 ounces of oil

The manual also says on page 41 "Fill to the edge of the filler hole". This seems pretty typical for the Honda engines I own.

Here's where it gets interesting. Filling it to the edge of the filler hole uses more like 43-46 ounces. So they've given me two sets of directions. Making it even more interesting is that Honda has two oil fill holes on the engine, on either side, and both are at different heights. One is next to the oil drain plug, the other is on the opposite side of the engine, this one has a dipstick on it. I'm assuming this is the correct one to use. And before you ask, yes, they're both marked as "oil".

So which is it? 1.16 quarts or fill to the edge? I note the directions themselves don't give a quantity, that number comes from the back of the manual where it gives capacities. Right now, I filled it to the edge of the dipstick hole, but I haven't started it yet, I've got plenty more stuff to do.
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tkrotchko

Re: Honda 1132 - changing oil confusion
Reply #6   Mar 13, 2011 8:05 pm
I looked and saw the drain on the "other" side; the difference is they don't have the "extender" on that side to drain. But now it makes perfect sense. I just don't understand why the capacity isn't the capacity, but I'm not going to worry about. I've drained the carb, changed the oil, sprayed off the blower, and I'll end up pushing it to the back of my garage. BTW, if you wet the floor of your garage, you can slide the Honda like its on ice skates.
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42