Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need help with Ariens Deluxe 30 please!!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
midfiman

Need help with Ariens Deluxe 30 please!!!
Original Message   Mar 13, 2011 5:40 pm
Hello all,

So i purchased an almost new (like 4 months old) Ariens Deluxe 30 for only $500 this weekend from someone. It's vitually in perfect shape with almost no signs of wear.   Downside, can't get it to start.  I think it's because the starting key is missing.  Can someone tell me what this key is suppose to look like?  The slot for the key isn't a normal slot I shaped slot.  Instead, it looks like a capital I (or I guess a wide "H" on it's side) shaped slot (see below for crude illustration).  It's currently in the "up/verticle" position.  The engine is a Briggs and Stratton Snow Series 1450.  Can someone help me out and tell what this key is suppose to look like?  Does anyone know of anything like a key with an I shape?  I think that's all it will take to start the engine but not sure.

If no one knows, is there a way to open up the cover and change the position of the switch/key so that I can start the machine anyways?

Thanks in advance for your help.

midfi

Shape and position of slot:

XXXXXXXXXX

X

X

X

X

X

XXXXXXXXXX

Replies: 4 - 13 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Ptindy

Re: Need help with Ariens Deluxe 30 please!!!
Reply #4   Mar 13, 2011 7:49 pm
Wow that is a great deal.  Sounds like too great a deal, almost like it could be a stolen unit, did you get a B.O.S or some kind of proof of purchase?

Mike

midfiman

Reply #5   Mar 13, 2011 9:10 pm
 Hey guys, thanks for your responses.   Here are some pictures of the blower and the key slot.  NOTMUCHMONEY, it looks like a different slot than the one on your machine.  Can you please let me know if yours looks like this?  I think the reason this machine was so cheap is because there is a very messy divorce/restraining order involved.  It was originally $900, I made a deal for $700, then said $500 once it wouldn't start.  The machine looks like it was barely used, just some scratches, VERY small rust spots here and there, but still a beautiful machine!

Thanks!

midfi

Having trouble posting a  picture, how do you do that here?  I don't get the standard "browse" when trying to post a picture...

This message was modified Mar 13, 2011 by midfiman
midfiman

Reply #6   Mar 13, 2011 9:20 pm
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #7   Mar 13, 2011 9:30 pm
Here you go, two close-ups at a better angle.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

midfiman

Reply #8   Mar 13, 2011 9:44 pm
midfiman wrote:

Thanks for posting your pictures!  I couldn't get the pictures to post so I added three links above.  I hope that you guys can see these!  As you can see, the slot is quite different than yours.  Strange!  I would have thought the engine on the Deluxe 28/30 would be almost the same if not identical...
BriMtl

Reply #9   Mar 14, 2011 7:28 am
I have your type of key needed for the Deluxe 30.

midfiman

Reply #10   Mar 14, 2011 7:43 am
Thanks Britmti, I appreciate you taking the time to put the pictures up.  Do you know if I should just go into an Ariens dealer and ask for that, or is there part number I should ask for?  I don't have the manuals with this purchase, otherwise I would just look up the part number and order.

Thanks!

midfi

GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #11   Mar 14, 2011 9:12 am
Don't know how these new ones work but in the older Tecunseh models the key inserted kept a set of contacts open so the engine would run. When you pulled the key the contacts closed and shorted the coil to the block preventing spark from reaching the plug. I've replaced some with switches on my Tecumsehs. Not sure where the connections are on the BS engines.

https://t.me/pump_upp
midfiman

Reply #12   Mar 14, 2011 9:14 am
So, i'll be picking up the key today.  Looks like the local dealer near me has it!

I'm very excited hoping that this is all that's needed to get this blower up and running!  That being said, I'm assuming that the following method should be used to start it:

1.  Check to make sure gas/oil is good to go

2.  Turn the infamous key to the starting position (to it's side)

3.  Push the primer 3-4 times

4.  Set the choke to the choke position

5.  Set the engine speed level to slow (or fast, not sure about this one...?)

6.  Pull the cord or press the electric start button

Then what?  If the engine speed bar is on low, do I slowly move it over to fast, or should I first move the choke lever over to run first and then do that?

Then I'm assuming to turn it off I just slide the engine speed lever over to STOP, yes?

And the only difference on a warm engine is that there's no need to choke, yes? 

Thanks again guys.

midfi

BriMtl

Reply #13   Mar 14, 2011 10:35 am
You can get the manual online from Ariens.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42