Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Gear Case Update

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Ariens Gear Case Update
Original Message   Jan 31, 2005 9:20 am
Just an info update to Itzbinnice and others-

I have finally pulled both augers off and the gearcase apart on my "free" 1988 Ariens ST824.  Used the 2x4 method, heat, PB Blaster, and gear puller to free the augers. 

Upon inspecting the gearcase, I found that both the 5/16" groove pin that holds the bronze gear onto the auger shaft AND the 3/16" groove pin that holds a collar onto the worm shaft had sheared.  There is no noticeable damage to the gears or shaft. 

I am amazed that these pins sheared, and more amazed at no apparent damage.  I guess these are the second line of defense when the auger shear pins can't do their job (due to rust). 

I will be re-assembling this week.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.

Ralph

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
itzbinnice

Re: Ariens Gear Case Update
Reply #1   Jan 31, 2005 2:05 pm

Sorry for the small font when I copied and pasted Paul's quote it screwed the post up again. There is no option for changing fonts that I can see.

RalphS

Glad you got it off and found the problem. I too am quite surprised both pins sheared without any damage to the wormshaft or the main bronze gear on the auger shaft. Consider yourself very luck, my parts including tax to make the repair were $128.14. Had to spend another 10.00 at Napa Auto parts to have the impeller removed from the shaft so I could put on my new shaft. If I don't get it off the impeller (fan) goes for 100.00. It took 30 tons of pressure to free the impeller from the shaft, the guy spent 10 minutes and was just about to give up when it broke free. Not a whole lot of rust, but maybe there were some burrs from the two pins fastening it on.

My augers came of real easy off the rack, at least that's one problem I didn't have. When you are ready to close up the gearcase Paul Koltz of Ariens had given me instructions of what to do. You may have seen it on my thread regarding the gearcase repair, but I have copied and pasted it below so you don't have to search.  Keep in mind my unit is a 1994 and yours is a 1988 when he comments about the lubrication required, I think your's could be the Mobil Monolith grease he speaks of,  you probably know what was in there when you opened the case. Best of luck in getiing it running again. My parts will take about a week to get, coming direct from Ariens factory to dealer, he doesn't use distributors any longer. 

QUOTE FORM PAUL KOLTZ (Snowmann)

'Your unit requires 2.5 oz of Ariens L2 gear lube.

There were versions of this model immediately prior to yours that used 4 oz of Mobil Monolith AW00 grease, but your's does not. I would -not- advise using grease for your unit.

The oil seals will seal the gearcase properly unless your shafts are badly pitted. They do allow for shaft wear and are still able to seal. Also,  Ariens uses Loc-tite 518 Anaerobic sealant to seal the halves, but the gasket sealant the dealer recommended will likely be fine.

When you assemble the gearcase, it may be wise to put a very small bead of the rubber gasket sealant around the seal OD. Just a bit, though. You absolutely do not want this sealant to get into the seal lip or it will leak. This will help if there's any small misalignment gaps around the seal when the two halves are closed together. For the 2 (side) rake shaft seals, this will also help seal any scratches that might be in your seal bores from prior servicing. The seals that you require for the sides (05606100) do not have bore-tite/hypalon on the OD to fill these scratches (if there are any). "

Paul Koltz

This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by Snowmann

This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by itzbinnice
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42