Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere X300 Advice Please

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
streetbully

John Deere X300 Advice Please
Original Message   Feb 20, 2011 5:51 pm
I went out yesterday and bought a 2011 X300 42" JD lawn tractor, just want it for cutting grass (about 2 acres) and nothing else. I have a 1991 garden tractor I bought new which was a Lawn-Boy. I figured being 20 years old and 700 hours on it anything could let go now so I better pick up something new.  The Lawn-Boy was exactly the same as the 1991 Ford models just painted green and Lawn-Boy decals added. I have been told many times these were built by Gillson and some went to Ford and others to Lawn-Boy. Has a Kohler Magnum horizontal shaft engine with hydro transmission and 2 speed rear end. This has been a real work horse for me over the years, cutting grass, blowing snow, ripping soil and hauling/towing ridiculous amounts of weight when we had the hobby farm. I sold off the rear PTO tiller from it, but I will keep the 2 stage Ber Vac blower. Tractor needs a new electric PTO clutch, still trying to find one of those. Even though we no longer have the hobby farm I'll keep this tractor around for hauling. The X300 Deere I got yesterday is a MUCH lighter built tractor then the Lawn-Boy so I'll just keep the JD for the cutting grass. I hope the Deere lasts for a few years. I have 30 days to take it back or exchange it for another model. Any thoughts out there? Should I move up to a 500 series just to cut grass or am I ok? I'm new on here so if I ramble on too much please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
streetbully

Re: John Deere X300 Advice Please
Reply #6   Feb 22, 2011 9:07 pm
I traded up the new X300 for the X320, bigger transmission (k-58)  bigger deck (48") bigger motor (22hp) bigger tires should be fine for just cutting 2.5 acres of lawn. I'll keep the old garden tractor as the work horse. Found a complete 1991 Ford/Gillson garden tractor out in the shop I forgot I had bought in pieces so I may part that out. Everything from the Ford fits my old 91 Lawn-Boy/Gillson garden tractor so I'm good to go for now if I need parts.

Paul
Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42