Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Snow-Thro - Mod. # 910995, Ser. # 071333

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DAWy

Ariens Snow-Thro - Mod. # 910995, Ser. # 071333
Original Message   Jan 7, 2011 3:13 pm
Hello,

I came across this website doing a Google search on the Ariens Snow-Thro snow blower. I actually came into possession of this through my next-door neighbour who had put it out at the end of his driveway approximately a month ago. I'm a young man (22), and was very interested in it, so I grabbed it right away. This is the first time I've ever had a snow blower, so I'm not familiar with the thing in the least.

When my mom was in college or university, she took an interest course (not sure if that's what it's called) in Small Gas Engines. As such, she has a Small Gas Engines book by Alfred C. Roth, that has "Fundamentals * Service * Troubleshooting * Repair" on Small Gas Engines. I'm taking an interest in it, and figured that, even if the snow blower fails to work, it would be an excellent 4-cycle engine for me to have as a "project", so to speak.

However, as I said, I'm new to snow blowers. The gentleman who got rid of it (he got a new snow blower) got this used himself, according to his daughter. As such, no manual came with it. I'm not familiar with it in the least, but have learned what I can from the instructions on the machine, and at least know the basics (I think), but I certainly wouldn't know how to start it up.

If someone could help me out with a few specific questions, I would appreciate it.
  1. Is there some way of obtaining a(n) owner/user manual?
  2. Does it require a "special" type of oil?
  3. What kind of lubrication, if any, would it possibly need, and where?
Here is all the information on it that I was able to locate:

Ariens Snow-Thro
National Audubon Society
Mod. 910995 - Ser. 071333
Ariens Company
Brillion, Wisconsin
U.S.A.

As I say, I'm young, but I'm very interested in this thing, and would appreciate some guidance. I'm pretty sure "Mod" stands for the "Model Number", and "Ser" stands for the "Serial Number" - seems logical to me, but if I'm wrong, please let me know (I know, a bit silly, but I rather be safe than sorry).

Sincerely,

-DAWy
Replies: 24 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DAWy

Re: Ariens Snow-Thro - Mod. # 910995, Ser. # 071333
Reply #24   Feb 5, 2011 3:38 pm
Hello,

Just a quick note: my apologies for all my previous posts that didn't have any paragraphs in them. I was using my "smart phone" to post. Apparently it's not smart enough to make paragraphs.

Here is a picture of where it is actually leaking, and what it looks like. I took this after having undone the entire thing, and draining the gas. The strange thing is it's leaking right where the screw is. At least that seems strange to me. Could there be a small hole in the actual screw?!

Here is a picture of how the line runs:

I'm pretty sure the way you described it is 100% accurate, Shryp, but there's some pictures for you so you can visually see it.

Thanks for all the help, by the way. I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

-DAWy
DAWy

Reply #25   Feb 5, 2011 3:41 pm
Hello,

Shryp wrote:
No need for the picture, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Apparently some of the plastic ones use the bushing too.  I found this picture online:

Whoops! Sorry, Shryp. Didn't catch this post until just now. Hope ya don't mind, mate.

Sincerely,

-DAWy
Shryp

Reply #26   Feb 5, 2011 3:42 pm
Yes, that is it.  The screw is the same as a water valve I think.  Hole goes all the way through and there is an O-ring by the screw handle.  O-ring is shot.  You might have enough slack in the line to pull the screw and the black piece off and put that orange piece right on the tank.  If there is a small nut behind the screw, you might be able to get away with tightening it a bit.

Looks like that is in good shape yet, should be easy to get running.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Shryp
DAWy

Reply #27   Feb 5, 2011 4:05 pm
Hello,

By the way, something that's been bothering me a bit: on the right side of this machine, there are two handles. What exactly are they, and are they important for when I go to start this beast? You can see one in my first picture, to the bottom right (not very well), and the other in my second picture,jutting out from behind the gas tank. I printed out a copy of the manual, but had no luck locating them, so I have no clue what they are.

Thanks again for the help!

Sincerely,

-DAWy
Shryp

Reply #28   Feb 5, 2011 4:14 pm
I have never used those older Ariens, but have done some research on them.  The handle that goes up and down tightens the belt and the handle that goes side to side engages the augers.  Those old machines only used one belt.  Make sure it is in neutral.  Start it with the belt handle down.  Engage the auger handle (I think turning it "out" engages it).  Then lift the belt handle.  You have to be more careful with these older ones since after you have them running the auger is always engaged with that handle out.  Some of the original transmissions were also backwards from the new ones.  You held the handle down to disengage and then released the handle to drive.  They were designed around safety.  Start it up and let it go down the street all by itself.  What could be more safe then being no one where the blower while it is operating?  :)

You never want to engage the augers while the belt engagement is on because it uses metal teeth that mesh.  If you tried engaging at speed they would grind into each other.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Shryp
Replies: 24 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42