Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens pro track 26-28- 32

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

Ariens pro track 26-28- 32
Original Message   Jan 30, 2011 5:07 pm
Has anyone had the opportunity to try one of Ariens tracked models? How does it fair against a Honda. I do not know is Ariens models tilt up an down like Hondas. i here Ariens has steering and Honda does not.  I here a lot about Honda but nothing about Tracked Ariens. I want to hear your opinions
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JohnWI

Re: Ariens pro track 26-28- 32
Reply #4   Feb 1, 2011 12:28 pm
While I like my wheeled Pro28, I don't know if I'd stay with it in a tracked version from the money perspective?  I wanted a SOLID, American-made, blower at a (somewhat) "reasonable" price.  I got that with both my wheeled Pro28 and the Toro 210R.  And I won't lie to you that the little Toro gets more use (but the Pro28 saves me from a hernia/heart attack at the EOD almost every storm).

But now that we're in the $2500 range, I'd probably look at the Honda.  MOSTLY because of the hydro. 

If the Husqv w/hydro was near me, I would have loved to felt that in my hands.  But I didn't have one near enough to me.

"The Husqvarna 16530EXL features a hydro drive system and can easily consume 23” snow drifts, while clearing 30” swaths through even the wettest of snowfalls. Its 16.5 gross torque Briggs & Stratton Endurance engine is designed to start reliably in cold weather. Standard features include a drift cutter, weight bar, power steering and a deflector extension. In addition, the 16530EXL comes with a halogen light to illuminate your pathway when the days are short. Hand warmers add comfort while tackling your chores in adverse weather conditions."

Of course that is also wheeled, but at the same $ level as my Pro28... ???

2011 Ariens Pro 28; Toro 210R, older Powerlite and a generic single stage w/ Tec. engine.

God Bless America!

Paul7

Reply #5   Feb 1, 2011 12:48 pm
JohnWI wrote:

But now that we're in the $2500 range, I'd probably look at the Honda.  MOSTLY because of the hydro. 

If the Husqv w/hydro was near me, I would have loved to felt that in my hands.  But I didn't have one near enough to me.

Speaking of the feel of a machine I'm curious if the handle bar height is adjustable on the Honda Track blowers.  I was just at a Tru-Value hardware store and they were demonstrating their snow blowers.  I tried out a Honda Track unit and I agree that the speed control of the hydro is neat.  However I felt uncomfortably "bent over" while operating it.  Is the handle height adjustable?  I didn't have an opportunity to ask the tech because my wife's patience had worn out and it was time to go.  In her defense we did have to wait a while before I got my turn.
FrankMA

Reply #6   Feb 1, 2011 1:18 pm
Honda does offer an extension kit for the Track Drive models. I think it is a 2" or 4" extension that raises the handle height. I'm 5'9" and it works OK for me although 2" higher would be better. I believe they are built to accommodate the Japanese stature.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #7   Feb 1, 2011 1:33 pm
Paul7 wrote:
Speaking of the feel of a machine I'm curious if the handle bar height is adjustable on the Honda Track blowers.  I was just at a Tru-Value hardware store and they were demonstrating their snow blowers.  I tried out a Honda Track unit and I agree that the speed control of the hydro is neat.  However I felt uncomfortably "bent over" while operating it.  Is the handle height adjustable?  I didn't have an opportunity to ask the tech because my wife's patience had worn out and it was time to go.  In her defense we did have to wait a while before I got my turn.

There's a handle extension kit that raises it about 2 inches (I think).  That's the max it can go without stretching the existing cables.  It's not adjustable, just extendable.

http://www.mayssnowblowerrepair.com/hb_extensions.html

http://www.mayshonda.com/eshopprod_cat_6411-71869_product_939449.Handlebar_Extension_Kit.htm
aa335

Reply #8   Feb 1, 2011 1:37 pm
FrankMA wrote:
Honda does offer an extension kit for the Track Drive models. I think it is a 2" or 4" extension that raises the handle height. I'm 5'9" and it works OK for me although 2" higher would be better. I believe they are built to accommodate the Japanese stature.

Yes, you are right on.  They are built for older Japanese demographics.

See my previous post.  The kit does offer a 2" extension, so that would be perfect for you.
Coldfingers

Reply #9   Feb 15, 2011 6:42 pm
Bus 708 I've got an Ariens pro 9526 I think its called. Its got the 9.5 hp. overhead valve motor with a "26" width. I really like mine, they are slower than the comparable wheel models, someone said 40% slower but I don't run it around town I just use it at home and its plenty speedy for me. I looked at the honda models as well and they are excellent machines also. I bought the Ariens because it turns alot easier as in regular mode, if you will, onlt the one track pulls so you can turn it nicely, if you really need the traction you can lock the other track and then it really goes but doesn't turn as well. I have a honda single stage that I use normally for the lighter snow falls and just take the big one out when conditions are there for more power. I hope that helps? Coldfingers
bus708

Reply #10   Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am
Thanks coldfingers,

My big delima is steering. There are no showrooms here for me to test one. I herd the new pro tracks have a diferential. Yours you said has lock outs. If you unlock one side it will want to turn with the driven track RIGHT?? Wouldn't you be fighting it to turn or go streight? I herd with diferentials you dont worry about it steering . it steers like auto triggers. I just hate to have to munky a heavy machine to turn it. 
This message was modified Feb 16, 2011 by bus708
Shryp

Reply #11   Feb 16, 2011 4:40 am
There was an older post by Snomann that mentioned that the new ones have auto traction control for wheels, but the old style handle mounted lockout levers for the tracks.  He said something about the automatic not working right with the tracks.  That post was from a while ago I think, so they could be different now.
Coldfingers

Reply #12   Feb 17, 2011 1:18 pm
The cheaper model with tracks that I looked at didn't have an overhead valve motor on it and then it had the levers on both sides to help turn it around. The pro model that I have doesn't have the levers but has a lock you turn on the right side to lock both tracks. I don't have trouble with it pulling to one side much unless you catch something. I usually have it locked in the down position and then when I get to the end of the driveway I lift it up and it turns nicely.
Coldfingers

Reply #13   Feb 17, 2011 1:20 pm
Forgot to say you can have it locked in one of three positions, I have never used the lowest down position, guess it works for heavy scraping in that one?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42