Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Problems with Ariens 932104-8524 drive...any suggestions?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
billg555555

Problems with Ariens 932104-8524 drive...any suggestions?
Original Message   Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm
Have used this thrower 2-3 times this year and when last used was working fine and backed it into garage. Started it up tonight only to find that there is no drive forward or reverse. Checked drive belt and it all seems ok. Flipped unit up and removed bottom cover and find that the friction disc does not contact the plate under it even when engaging the clutch. Have put tension on the clutch cable and the friction disc still does not engage the plate. Is it safe to assume that I need to replace the friction disc? There still seems to be plenty of rubber on it with no chunks of rubber missing? Also does it seem odd that it was working fine on last use and now I have no forward or reverse drive? Any info would be appreciated.........
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
mkd55

Re: Problems with Ariens 932104-8524 drive...any suggestions?
Reply #1   Jan 31, 2011 9:16 pm
billg! i can't explain why the adjustment is out of wack !the correct way to adjust the drive plate to drive disc clearance is to set the machine up till you can spin the tires by hand.put the gear selector in first gear. on the bottom back  left lower corner is a 9/16 nut with a jam nut. loosen  the jam nut and while turning the drive wheel tighten the 9/16" nut under the jam nut til the drive wheel just starts to drag on the drive disc. at this point  back out the 9/16" nut one full turn. you may have to engage and disengage the drive handle a few times and double check the one turn out . this should be the correct adjustment to put the right amount of tension on the drive wheel to disc when the drive lever is engaged. before putting the plate back on and setting the jam nut run the selector thru all the gears to 5th and engage the drive lever in each gear to make sure the drive wheel will have tension on the drive disc all across the disc face(1st tru 5th gear).you can do the same adjustment on the ground if you have a long driveway or sidewalk where you wont run into anything.just turn the nut in real slow till the machine starts to creep,then back it out 1 full turn .fine tune and adjust as above and lock the jam nut back down.
This message was modified Jan 31, 2011 by mkd55
Snowmann

Reply #2   Jan 31, 2011 10:58 pm
mkd55, you are referring to a procedure for a different transmission platform (924,XXX). This unit is a 932,XXX. The drive plate on this unit is not sliding on the hex shaft. The lubricant used on these machines was a nickel anti-seize cut with Mobil 1 oil. Over time it gums up. Spray some penetrating lubricant on the hex shaft behind the drive plate to loosen the parts. Once loose, work it back and forth while lubricating with lithium spray grease.

While you're in there... oil the axle bushings (use 90W gear oil) and the bronze drive plate spindle bushings, grease the gear, the fitting on the pinion shaft, and the friction disk hex shaft (NLGI 2 lithium grease, preferably Ronex MP), and oil the chain (chain oil). If you're really ambitious, service the auger gear case too. Drain and refill with L3 gear oil to the level of the filler screw, be sure to re-seal the filler screw with Loc-Tite 565 or Teflon pipe tape. The L3 stuff is top notch. If you can't get that, use synthetic PAO 75W-140 gear oil (don't get the cheap stuff, use the more expensive non-hydrocracked oil)
This message was modified Jan 31, 2011 by Snowmann
billg555555

Reply #3   Feb 1, 2011 4:40 pm
Appreciate the quick replies to the problem I am having here. Hope to get out there tonight and try the fix. Will get back to you with the outcome. I'm on Long Island and now they are saying we might be spared the snow this time and only get up to an inch of ice and then turn to rain tomorrow. That won't be prime conditions for a snow thrower.  I'd rather have the snow and be able to use my hopefully now working snow thrower. Talk to you later.
mkd55

Reply #4   Feb 1, 2011 5:50 pm
sorry everyone! my mistake ! i missread the post! snowmann thanks for setting me straight
This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by mkd55
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42