Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Warranties

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Warranties
Original Message   Jan 30, 2005 7:45 am
All of us that have new snowthrowers this year need to keep in mind that certain conditions/restrictions may apply to keep the warranty active. Be sure to read the manuals that came with the equipment. (For example: SnowRemovers new blower now only has a 45 day warranty, rather than the 2 year that came with it because of their warranty restrictions) Just a heads up for us "Newbies"!
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Re: Warranties
Reply #13   Jan 30, 2005 3:03 pm
GTS on a Toro refers to "guaranteed to start". They have been using that on  their lawn mowers for quite a while.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #14   Jan 30, 2005 6:39 pm
Walt wrote:

Snow also puts a lot of trust in documentation and facts.   Essentially the written word is what he appears to rely upon.  Then why not rely upon all of the written word; be it a review of a product, an instruction sheet, or a warranty.  Snow also said that he made the dealer not put gas in the blower until it was delivered, and he inspected it.  Does this mean it's o.k. to screw over the Toro dealer at first opportunity?

Walt,

You couldn't be more right.  I'm not a man of God, but I am as honest as they come.  So tell me, would this sound acceptable.

1.  I continue to help out my neigbors and snow blow their driveways for free.
2. If the Toro has a problem, I call up the dealer who sold it to me and tell them, I do blow the neighbors driveways when I blow mine.
3. If they decide they will still fix the unit under warranty, have I been dishonest.

I know you're not my Priest/Spiritual Leader, but you're probably the closest thing I've got, so I value your opinion.

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Walt

Reply #15   Jan 31, 2005 5:32 am
Snowremover,

As you gain more experiences that can't be explained by science, it is far easier to understand that there are things happening here that are being controlled by something else.  (for example: science has looked into the genetic makeup of living things, and has gone as far as quantum physics and the string theories as being the foundation for the physical aspects of life.  Although scientists have thoeries how those strings attach, not one can see anything that can "turn on" the switch for life.)  This however does not answer your question...

God said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  Christians believe in that a lot, but I don't think that sounds like a bad rule for anyone in general. 

I would also recommend reading "The Best Question Ever" by Andy Stanley which might give you some guidance not only for your warranty question but also life in general.  It's a pretty good book. (It does include some God in it, but I am not going push you into My God or anything like that.  It is just a good book, and a good way to approach life and others and situations.  It's pretty easy reading too! (big  for the author!))  

Back to your question...Only you will know how to answer your question if that need arises.

Best regards,

Walt 

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #16   Jan 31, 2005 8:52 am
Walt wrote:

Although scientists have thoeries how those strings attach, not one can see anything that can "turn on" the switch for life.)  This however does not answer your question...

Walt,

You did this to me on the last thread, when you asked about my buy American beliefs - we strayed off topic and ChrisS started deleting my posts.  However, human conversations seldom stay on topic.  How many times has anyone reading this been talking to friends and asked "How did we get on this topic".

Well, we're on to God now, so let me say a few things about myself.
1. I do believe in God.
2. I do not believe in organized religion.  Not because I have a problem with it, I just don't think anyone's gotten it right yet.
3. I live my life by asking myself - "If everyone did what I did, would the world be better or worse?"

That last one is not about buying cars - or else I would have to ask would the world be better or worse if everyone owned the same car.  But if I was thinking about dropping a bubble gum wrapper on the sidewalk - then I imagine the sidewalk filled with trash and make sure I put my trash in the garbage.

As for my warranty, I think I will simply tell the Toro dealer that I've voided my warranty by doing my neigbors driveway.  If he feels that the warranty information is there to keep people from "sharing" the product  and helping out a neighbor isn't really what Toro means, and will fix it under warranty, then I'll let Toro fix it for free.  Otherwise, I'll pay.

I'm going to check out if my library has "the best question ever".  Thanks.

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Walt

Reply #17   Feb 1, 2005 12:10 am
Snowremover,

You answered your own question in a fashion that you believe would be forthright and fair.  You do not have control over the dealer that sold it to you, and are letting him make a decision for himself; the way his gut tells him is appropriate.  He is however, the one that gave you His word in the first place.

I appreciate that you at listen to me, that makes people feel good in general.  In reality, I need to correct you on a topic I have seen a lot on this board.  It was many others that advised you about the attributes of Toro, I merely enlightened you as to where Craftsman stood in the C.R. rankings; therefore all of the others on this board that either made you decide, or not decide on Ariens, Toro, Craftsman, MTD, etc and really deserve far greater thanks than me.  I also have seen many "arguments" between people on the board that gave you a lot of advice (and it does take 2 to argue).  As you have seen, they have asked for nothing in return...but  a thank you does go a long way.

Your post concerning the engines has you very worked up inside, and questioning your own decision for the Best snowblower.  You probably feel as though you may have bought the wrong thing; but everyone said follow your gut and you did.  Others have told you how they like/dislike what they bought and you made your decision.  If you try now to find out more, as though you haven't bought it yet, you will never "Be thankful for the things you Have already been blessed with".  You bought your machine, you like it, so relax and enjoy it.  (God's spike isn't in Albany N.Y. either) you needn't battle people over your decision.  This is why Ice cream comes in Chocolate and Vanilla. People like both and neither one is wrong.

Next, you need to understand that people are generally good.  They are not out to screw over mankind.  I have been screwed more than Roger Rabbit in a brothel, but if I put my wall up against the world nobody will ever come in.  This is great until you don't have any friends left.  The people here are not out to get you, so please don't act like they are.  Remember,  these are also the people you will be coming to when you need to fix your equipment.  They are good people.  I too have a wall, as we all do; but my filter is also pretty good so I do let some people in.  Check your filter often and you will do fine in the end.  Keep the wall up and you will be lonely in the end.

Facts are often nothing more than written opinions from someone you haven't met.  I used to joke with my coworker when he/I was introduced as an "expert" that "an ex was a has been" and "a spurt is a drip under pressure" and neither of us wanted to be refered to in that manner.  There are no experts in this world, just people with a lot of experience.   The moral of this, is that facts and figures are nice, but as with anything, they can be modified to ones liking.  If the foundation of an argument is someone elses facts then you are fighting some elses battles.  Let them fight their own battles, let them be their own experts.  You will make your life a lot easier.   You admired a magazine for their ability to trash someones product.  What they were doing was giving an opinion, their own!  That doesn't mean they were right, it just meant that they liked chocolate ice cream, not vanilla.

Moderators usually allow topics to roll unless they are useless to the masses.  Battles over statistics don't really do people much good,  standard statistics are usually o.k.,  they have a big job to maintain the decorum of the site.  Investors don't want a site with their name on it being nothing more than a brawl.  this may get moved or deleted, but that is their decision.  Us as visitors need to deal with it or go elsewhere.  Their site, their rules.

And lastly, to stay on topic, Toro gave 3 year warranties if you bought your machine before November 30 (at least on some, maybe all models)

Again, thank you, and I hope you enjoy the book.

Walt

This message was modified Feb 1, 2005 by Walt
Emmo

Reply #18   Feb 1, 2005 8:04 am
Well put Walt......very true.

Emmo        

PS  the Toro warranty extension was offered Sept 23 - Nov 3 2004 for all consumer gas models.
This message was modified Feb 1, 2005 by Emmo
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #19   Feb 1, 2005 8:32 am
Walt, what a nice post. Thanks for being here!
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #20   Feb 1, 2005 8:54 am
Walt wrote:
Your post concerning the engines has you very worked up inside, and questioning your own decision for the Best snowblower. 

Walt,

First - thanks for the advice. Second, you are too modest (an admirable trait).  Third, I'm not questioning my decision to buy the Toro in the slightest - I just saw that website and thought I'd get some opinions.  I don't plan on ever starting the engine without checking the oil, plus I take that persons opinion with a heavy grain of salt since there was no factual evidence cited.  That doesn't mean it's not true, simply not verified by others using scientific or anectodal methods.

Walt wrote:
You admired a magazine for their ability to trash someones product.  What they were doing was giving an opinion, their own!  That doesn't mean they were right, it just meant that they liked chocolate ice cream, not vanilla.

I will try not to get too far off topic, but humans are humans.  The magazine is I admire is Maximum PC and they sometimes they give their opinion on layout design, but often they give facts that are as clear as day.  For example, last month they tested computer power supply's under manufacturer's load specs - and two burned out within the manufacturers specifications - two others didn't keep the URL approved voltage to the PC.  Those aren't opinions, those are important considerations that people need to have.  If those same products were tested by PC Magazine, they would say something like "Under normal conditions we feel this power supply is fine, but the manufacturer put such I high tolerance level on their product it couldn't meet it.  We still think this product deserves your consideration."  Whereas Maximum PC simply says "Avoid this product".  That's what I like about Maximum PC.  And that Power supply they ripped, had a the back cover ad.  Impressive magazine.  But I digress.

I do get your point that most people are good - that might be why I was so mad yesterday.  A large number of my "olive branch" posts were deleted, as if someone wanted to cover up the fact that I had some nice things to say about people. 

--SnowRemover

--Friedrich Nietzsche
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #21   Feb 1, 2005 9:02 am
Just to let everyone know, I can't get the italics off of posts where the italics are pre-set by "QUOTING" someone.  I'm using Firefox 1.0.  So please don't complain about the italics.  I've cleared my cache, shut down the browser, re-entered the cite, tried to edit the post again, but the italics won't turn off.  Sorry for the difficulty it makes in reading.

--SnowRemover

--Friedrich Nietzsche
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #22   Feb 1, 2005 9:15 am
SnowRemover wrote:
Just to let everyone know, I can't get the italics off of posts where the italics are pre-set by "QUOTING" someone.  I'm using Firefox 1.0.  So please don't complain about the italics.  I've cleared my cache, shut down the browser, re-entered the cite, tried to edit the post again, but the italics won't turn off.  Sorry for the difficulty it makes in reading.

--SnowRemover

I'm on FF too. No Italics when quoting.................
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42