Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens eating belts

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
brjl

Ariens eating belts
Original Message   Dec 28, 2010 10:36 am
Ariens 11528DLE

I purchased this sno blower two years ago and I am about ready to install my third auger belt. Anyone else having this problem?

Thought I was buying top of the line, my fathers vintage 1970's Ariens refuses to die and is still throwing snow like new. Very frustrated. Cold weather and no garage is no time to be replacing belts.

Brian

Replies: 16 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
PartsMan

Re: Ariens eating belts
Reply #16   Jan 29, 2011 10:50 pm
I had the same problem and I came to the conclusion that the engine is just so powerful that when the auger gets full of snow instead of the engine slowing down it keeps turning full speed and slightly slips on the belt and burns it.

Check if you have some black soot under the belt cover and around the inside. Also a belt that is all cracked up inside is overheating.

I have all the OEM sizes Ariens belts on my site at   http://www.c-equipment.com/snowblower-ariens-belts.html
This message was modified Jan 29, 2011 by PartsMan
trouts2

Reply #17   Jan 29, 2011 10:58 pm
Partsman, your a running advertisement not a contributor. Dennis, what are the rules on advertisers? Are we going to have to read ads in all posts?
aa335

Reply #18   Jan 30, 2011 4:08 am
It's quite easy to ignore the advertisement.  Quite subtle and not too annoying.
mkd55

Reply #19   Jan 30, 2011 10:46 am
brjl! eating up belts should not be the norm! i would check the pulleys for allignment,burrs,dings,and free movement.i had a belt go on my cub cadet at 200 hrs of service.first i thought it was normal and figured i'd have to replace it every 200 hrs.i bought a new cub cadet belt for it and it didn't last a month of mowing grass.one of the two directional pulleys under the front end had the bearings going out and was so bound up it was putting extra load on the belt.the bearings finally launched and the bearing hub seperated from the pulley. replaced both pulleys and  not 3 hrs later the replacement belt seperated in half. if the belts are freyed it tells you one thing and if the belt is an abrupt shear it tells you something else.in my case the second belt broke in an abrupt shear just like pulling a piece of licorice in half.it had no free movement on the frozen pulley and the engine simply pulled the belt in half.
This message was modified Jan 30, 2011 by mkd55
brjl

Reply #20   Jan 30, 2011 5:24 pm
This machine has been looked at by two different dealers, and I have checked everything that I could, all looks normal. I know people who have the same machine with no problems. I am thinking about selling it and getting a Toro.
Replies: 16 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42