Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What is Ariens R3 upgrade? (post #19 explains the upgrade)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

What is Ariens R3 upgrade? (post #19 explains the upgrade)
Original Message   Jan 30, 2005 12:59 am

UPDATE FROM BEN07 FEB. 3RD

PLS NOTE: THIS PROBLEM WAS ANSWERED BY ARIENS.

POST # 19 explains the upgrade.  

IT IS A RESOLVED  ISSUE 

I purchased an 8524LE for a price I had to jump at due to an end of season left over last year.   Shortly after, I started hearing horror stories on the gear drives for this particular unit.  I am sure a lot of you are familiar to it.  Ariens advertised  three categories of two stage SB.  Compact, Deluxe, Professional.  What they don't tell you is that this model has the drive unit of the compacts. The one prefixed with "932" rather than "924."   The other two Deluxe models and the Pro models all have the "924."  I feel this is misleading advertising on their part.  I contacted Ariens with my serial number, and all they said was my unit has the reduction unit in it.  I noticed someone in here telling a new owner of this years 8526 model on getting the R3 upgrade.  So maybe that is what I have or maybe not. 

What is this reduction thing.  I can't expect that they altered my gear drive to the same configuration as the heavy-duty one.  Mainly,  because the case appears to be much weaker and a little smaller.

So this year I got to use the machine.  It is quite capable of blowing some serious snow.  The problem is I have to use real high gear selections to do it.  This things ground speed is that of a turtle.  Everything is adjusted correctly, no slippage, proper RPM,  Trust me.  If you want I can get you electronic rpm measurement the next time I get it out of the shed.  I was giving my 15 yr old some lesions/practice etc. and cautioned him on making sure that he was in say forward gear when he starts out with his back against the wall, as the machine is quite capable of pinning him.  He engaged it in reverse and I challenged him to stop the machine from pushing him back on dry pavement.  He got the message that it would pin his belly-button to his spine then plow him right through a old heavy plywood faced garage door. 

He and I just did a neighbors 250 foot double wide with three snowfalls on it.  A 3 week old 4 inch, a two week old 3 inch and a fresh 8 inch.  Naturally the older snow was tough and packed so we were doing probably a good 10 inches plus of some tough underlying snow and some top powder.  Didn't matter, all of it went 30 plus feet in the air for a distance of no less than 40 feet.  The problem is we were doing it in 4th gear.  I don't think that is normal for an 8.5 hp.  When we transported it up there we had to use 6th gear with full throttle or it would have taken forever. First gear and 1st reverse are so slow they are useless.  So naturally I am thinking that what the modification may have been was at least in part to gear it down to take the stress off the inferior drive componets and weaker smaller transmission housing.  Which makes no sense as this machine is big and heavy, and has a large snow box that needs fed to operate properly, so the operator has to compensate by speeding up.  It weighs 240 lbs, that coupled with you say doing an EOD of wet thick heavy slush, filling the whole snow box and spilling a lot of it out on top of the box, can add 100 to 150 pounds to it's weight.  I feel like I am running a 1959 Caddy with a 1962 Rambler slushbox tranny that is gonna blow at any time.

When I contacted Ariens on this they were tight lipped, kinda like you got the reduction unit, buy see you later. 

So I was hoping to get some more information in here before I write a review on this machine. 

I know their will be mentions of advising to call Ariens again etc.  But trust me, they really don't seem to want to talk about it.  What can help prove that out, is they read and post in this forum.  They will read this, and they are quite capable of giving an explanation in here. However that remains to be seen. 

Regards. And any info you know of will be appreciated
This message was modified Feb 7, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Replies: 18 - 27 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: What is Ariens R3 upgrade?
Reply #18   Jan 31, 2005 7:58 pm
Gentlemen,

The Ariens r3 High Performance drive system is fundamentally similar to the former design, but with significant enhancements in critical areas to increase torque output and friction disk service life.  There were upgrades in generally 3 sectors (as stated below):

1. The friction disk rubber compound was reformulated to increase its wear resistance and coefficient of friction. The new compound (or close variants thereof) are present on all Ariens snothro friction disks. The new compound increased the ability of the disk to transmit torque to the drive plate by 72% and also increased its wear resistance by 2-3 times.  

2. The second change related to the position of the friction disk carrier with respect to the drive plate axis of rotation. Basically, as the friction disk moves farther from rotational axis of the drive plate (i.e. from 1st gear up into the higher forward gears), the power transmission gets more efficient (less side-scrubbing and wear on the disk; i.e. more power being translated rather than consumed). Essentially, we moved the friction disk a bit further from the center of the drive plate for most of the gears. This is especially important for the lower forward gears in which units require a high torque output for bulling through the EOD (end of driveway). This was accomplished by changing the swing radius on the lower shift arm and adjusting the specification to which we adjust the shift rod.

3. The third change was a reshuffling of the internal ratios of the transmission. A friction disk transmission, by design, has its output capability hinged purely on the coefficient of friction between the friction disk and the drive plate. This is true for every friction disk driven unit. However, we optimized the ratios of the transmission so the friction disk has to transmit the same amount of power (horsepower), but with less torque across the friction disk/drive plate interface. With transmitted horsepower being constant, Torque is purely a function of RPM. That is, if the friction disk can increase its RPM by a certain ratio, the requirement for the friction disk to transmit torque is reduced by an equal ratio.  We essentially sped up the front side of the transmission (this includes the drive plate), and geared down the backside (friction disk and back). To use an analogy, it's like riding a ten speed bike to achieve the same speed as before, only we're pedaling twice as fact in first gear rather than pedaling slower in a higher gear. This RPM increase does not increase the wear on the friction disk (as some might speculate).  High friction disk wear rates are only achieved as you approach the torque transmission limits of the friction disk. With the design enhancements we've implemented, we are now much farther from this limit during operation.

I hope this answers your questions.  

Best Regards,

Paul Koltz
Engineering Leader
932/938 Snothro Group
Ariens Company

I must have accidently saved some posts I thought were real good from some of our moderators, members, and guests.
Snowmann

Reply #19   Jan 31, 2005 9:47 pm
Ben07,

Your unit does indeed have the R3 high performance transmission. The updated drive does not affect the ground speed. I hope the posting that 'Mints dug up answers your questions.

PK

Ben07

Reply #20   Jan 31, 2005 10:51 pm
big time computer prob here be back when I can. just hoping to get this thru

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Ben07

Reply #21   Jan 31, 2005 11:03 pm
Ok got the post thru .. This computer is flippin out as it is runnin now. you wouldn't believe what I been doin.  I was able to copy rob m info on a floppy so if this blows then I can get someone to print it for me  .. Thx so much in advance ..

One suggestion here I think there should be a phone number for members who get these computer problems.  just to call and tell their friends they ar e just having that prob.  so someone can post it  Or in my case knowing that I was in the middle of an issue  then just dropped out of sight.. You think this computer is flippin.  I'm flippin out as it would have looked like someone went way out of their way to help me and I just became ignorantly invisable  ..It was an intense fight I had here  .. what I need now is a hughe snow storm to go and get some joyfull agression out  You all know that has a relaxing effect

be back at as soon as I can

This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by Ben07

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #22   Jan 31, 2005 11:19 pm
Need a Valium? 

Ben07

Reply #23   Jan 31, 2005 11:21 pm
Snowmann wrote:
Ben07,

Your unit does indeed have the R3 high performance transmission. The updated drive does not affect the ground speed. I hope the posting that 'Mints dug up answers your questions.

PK

It sure enough does.  I was able to stay in here long enough to skim read it.  Hope to get back in here tomorrow to do you two some justice.  and may have a minor question or something like that. 

Sincere thanks to you guys for now.   

Ben07

Ben07

Reply #24   Jan 31, 2005 11:42 pm
Yeah marshall valium would work.  .  A snowstorm would be better,  however  will just have to go do a shot an a beer.  Hope you have one also.  The snowstorm that is.  

Ben 

Ben07

Reply #25   Feb 2, 2005 9:27 pm

Hey Paul K. and Rob M. That was an answer at a level I hoped for, didn't think I would get,  would have settled for less etc.  I didn't want to mention co efficiencies/drag/torque distribution, which I only had to a little.  The reason I even hoped for that level of an answer is I have been around machinery, mechanics yada yada. for years.  The Ariens machines I have seen are incredibly well built machines.   That's no accident as it takes  lots of other things to achieve that.  Overall company directive, pride, good ol fashioned engineering,  R&D etc etc. You do all that well and the customer will come to you.  That's a 10 out of 10.  Go one step further and "thoroughly" fix a problem , with the end user in mind, then that's a 12 on a scale of one to ten.

I know you guys cannot get on the phone with every T.D.&H.  to explain.  Because a lot of times when someone gets hold of you they won't let go. 

One of the big problems is actually a complete credit to the machines  performance.  I am always conscious of Drag on a motor .  To do that you gotta know the power of the motor also.  So with the load I put it under, and being able to do it in 4th gear, I said no way, Ain't no way an 8.5 gonna do this, with two belt tension systems and the friction disc runnin in a straight line, fighting the power loss of a rotating  mating surface that is squeezing through the compressed  contact area on an arc.  Had to gear it down yada yada.  (you would need a chain system to even get close to it's performance)  Now the smart person would gear it down as a band-aid.  But the better guy would do that and also pick it up on the other end with additional stuff also etc. 

That's what your sayin you did.  My hat's off to ya, 

Real quick.  Someone reading this thread may not get the whole thing here, as to all the mechanical applications happening at the same time.  So let me say this.  That friction wheel n plate drive system in one of those machines (lets call it  a baby buggy wheel and a flat sided pulley) in comparison to lets say something familiar that does the same application.  An automobile.  Those two pieces do the job of (thus eliminating the need for ), the clutch fork, throw out bearing, clutch, pressure plate, front two thirds of a manual transmission, and the ring and pinion(rear end assy).  On a smaller scale of course, however a large snowblower, is not a little light toy either.  So those two basic parts still have to overcome most of the same invisible and nagging mechanical principals of the whole shopping cart of the stuff I said they eliminated.      

Regards Ben

Pls   keep this in mind,  I think my speeds are ok,  Remember it was part the performance of the machine that swayed me that way and the other part was probably my imagination.

Even if they are a little slow it don't matter as I prefer, and I mean prefer to work that friction plate as far away from center,( on a more shallow arc), as possible.   I was extremely concerned their was a high probability that I would be stressing other applications till your explanation gave me the scope of your retrofit.  (same as both sides of the system were balanced, not just one side)

With that said I am gonna play around and   compare some different runnin speeds of  different units with anyone who wants to goof around and have some fun in the forum.  Reason, fun, interest, hobby, and you always stand to learn something.  Never know may be the start of dragracing snowblowers.  And folks no computerized NASCAR crate engines, gotta stick to public production engines, like when racing was real. 

And Marshall . No and I mean No you are not allowed to enter that Snapper, It looks way too Fast.  You can be official pace car only. 

This message was modified Feb 2, 2005 by Ben07

robmints

Reply #26   Feb 2, 2005 10:06 pm
Marshall wrote:
Need a Valium? 

Well, since you asked. I'll take two please, blue is my favorite color, you know.
Ben07

Reply #27   Feb 3, 2005 9:02 am
Here's my speeds.  for anyone interested.  (probably not many, Is my first guess)

Sorry that the excell spread sheet doesn't past in perfect alignment.  I think it is good enough to use, as a reference example 6th gear is  1.9706 miles per hour.

-full throttle 3450 (did not notice any governor assist.  if it did the engine still ran at the exact same rpm) ((so sort of further proof the governor did not come into play))Feb 1 2005
-running start
-number of seconds it took to travel 30 feetModel 8524LE (2003-2004)
-auger not engaged8.5 hp
-unit riding only on drive wheels
-both drive wheels engaged
sec to go 30 ftfeet per secfeet per min     feet per hr              MPH
1st fwd36.250.827649.65522979.31030.5643
2nd 23.371.283777.02184621.30940.8752
3rd17.471.7172103.03386182.02631.1708
4th14.412.0819124.91337494.79531.4195
5th11.372.6385158.31139498.68071.7990
6th10.382.8902173.410410404.62431.9706
1st rev27.31.098965.93413956.04400.7493
2nd 21.421.400684.03365042.01680.9549

This message was modified Feb 7, 2005 by Ben07

Replies: 18 - 27 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42