Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Auger issue - ariens #924082 .

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
panman

Auger issue - ariens #924082 .
Original Message   Jan 18, 2011 2:55 pm
Thank in advance for any info on my problem.

I don't have a copy of the owners manual, just trying to figure out what is cuasing the problem.

I have a Ariens snowblower, model #924082, that worked great last wednesday storm. but today, impeller is turning but augers stops whenever snow accumulates in front of the snowblower. I put the snowblower on reverse the augers start turning again.  I move forward, working great, then slowly the snow accumulates then the auger stops again.

Is there a torque that keeps the auger from turning whenever there’s too much snow going in the auger?

Replies: 8 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
nerys

Re: Auger issue - ariens #924082 .
Reply #8   Jan 28, 2011 2:01 pm
I found a little more information. (maybe you guys can help me ID the unit and where to get parts???)

There is a little sticker/plate thing on the back with a serial number. its white with black letters and black border and says exactly this

SER NO. 10ML35-
MFG. BY
ARIENS CO. BRILLION, WISC. U.S.A.

below and right of that is an orange sticker that says

MFG. AND LICENSED UNDER
U.S. PATENT NOS. 2,696,125
2,731,886 & 2,954,704

OTHER PATENTS PENDING (A)

the (A) is a A in a CIRCLE.

I also have some pictures I took (not the greatest cell phone shots when I left for work this morning)

http://www.mylittlemouse.com/Ariens_Snow_Blower

so the shot I took of the NUT on the outside of the housing. are you saying if the shear pins go THAT NUT will be spinning and the auger won't be? (I never actually looked to see if that nut ever spins)
Shryp

Reply #9   Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Your "Differential" is the auger gear case.  When people refer to a differential in a snowblower that are talking about something that is on the axle at the wheels.  It allows the wheels to spin at different speeds and make turning a lot easier.  Newer machines have the power steering or trigger releases for the wheels.  The old ones had mechanical gears and you can either lock or unlock them with a pin on the left side wheel.  Cheaper designs have wheels that you can unlock from the axle to make turning easier, but they become completely unpowered and you loose traction and i have heard they become hard to keep straight.

Your nut just holds the shaft to the outer housing.  The shear bolts should be in the center of the augers.  The augers are the big corkscrews.  The shear pin just looks like a nut and bolt.  That nut will spin if the shear pins are broke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwb2LBnt5ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4zPn4mhaA

With a shear bolt in there they should have a little play in them.  If they don't move at all that means the auger is rusted to the shaft it rides on.  That is basically the same as not having a shear bolt at all.  It is very bad for the gearcase.  If your augers have grease fittings grease them up and spin the auger before putting the new bolt in.  The shear bolt is just the weakest link in the front end and designed to break if something gets stuck in it.  If they are rusted on and can't break as intended you can damage the gears in the gearcase and that is expensive to fix.
This message was modified Jan 28, 2011 by Shryp
PartsMan

Reply #10   Jan 28, 2011 8:24 pm
You may want to check out a place called Cormier Equipment at www.c-equipment.com  They have lots of aftermarket Ariens parts online and delivery is quick and easy.
This message was modified Jan 28, 2011 by PartsMan
trouts2

Reply #11   Jan 28, 2011 8:40 pm
Partsman,

Good link.  I checked out a few prices and they are pretty good.

Replies: 8 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42