Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > This is when you need Track Drive!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rubinew

This is when you need Track Drive!!
Original Message   Jan 21, 2011 10:32 pm
Ok, tracks may be a little more effort to turn, but when you have 30 - 40 inches of blown hard packed snow, you need to have tracks!! A hydro drive helps too, because I had to go very very slow.

I had to put the Hydro Drive down to a crawl, and a few times I did have to back up, to let the cut snow fall in front, and then go forward again. There was a couple times when the tracks slipped, and I did have to rock the unit a bit, to get it going again.

This is on gravel, so I could not put the bucket all the way down which did cause some riding up, which I was able to control by going slower. I was able to cut this path in under 5 minutes.

My previous wheeled unit would never have touched this, and I suspect, other wheeled units would have not have got through this in the same amount of time: 

And Yes, I backed out, there was an obstacle at the front of the driveway.

Replies: 13 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
rubinew

Re: This is when you need Track Drive!!
Reply #13   Jan 23, 2011 1:02 am
Paul7 wrote:
That snow in the pictures...can you walk on it?  If so I couldn't even imagine tackling it with my wheeled snow thrower.  Maybe a flame thrower...

Walk?? You could cube this stuff and make Igloos out of it!!

My wife took her van, Chev Astro, not 4 wheel drive,  through a thinner part, maybe 20 inches, about 6 feet wide, hung it up.

Had to shovel and scrap it out, esp the stuff under it, so she could finally get out

I had used the Yamaha to clear a path for her, I guess 10 feet wide wasn't enough  She skewed right, and backed into the drift by mistake.

Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Re: This is when you need Track Drive!!
Reply #14   Jan 23, 2011 10:16 am
And if it wasn't so temperature sensitive.......we wouldn't have to buy concrete.

Replies: 13 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42