Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Wheels vs Tracks and a Honda HS928TCD

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Wheels vs Tracks and a Honda HS928TCD
Original Message   Jan 20, 2011 12:35 pm
Seen a lot of questions and comments on this so I'll just post my 2 cents worth.  We get a lot of HARD blown in snow around here.  Just bought a Honda HS928TCD (tracks) and I think it's night and day compared to two other wheel types I have used.  Yes, the Honda is (only slightly) harder to make a turn at the end of the line, but this is very much more than compensated for by not having to fight the blower through the first 200 yards of hard snow to get to the turn.  The Honda just pushes ahead and and is very easy to steer.

The hydrostatic drive on the Honda is good to have.  It shifts on the fly (no declutching) to adjust to any speed required do get the job done right.  The electric chute controls are wonderful - don't seem to have a problem freezing up.  When looking to buy, I found the manual chute controls on Hondas sturdily built but a bit hard to turn compared to others.  Electric....good.  WIsh the Honda had heated grips (it's -36 C here today!).

When going through lots of harder snow, the Honda engine is obviously working harder.  I compensate by slowing down forward speed or taking a partial cut - no sense in putting undue stress on the new guy, but I suppose it's only logical that more snow to move equals harder work for the engine.

The two wheelies took a lot of muscle for the hard snow - almost woulda been easier to shovel it.  My old wheelie (JD 826 with chains and "summer" tires) went thru but slowly and with difficulty and lots of muscle required.  The other new wheelie (since returned to dealer), equipped with "snow hog" type tires simply refused to touch the stuff.  I looked into getting chains for the snow hogs, but most dealers, even those that sold chains made expressly for the snow hogs, said they didn't help much (one said they made things worse!).

The Honda tracker is definitely more difficult to handle than a wheelie when in the garage on dry concrete, but I can live with that.  Maybe the suggestion of putting it on a creeper would help, but I just don't have to move it around there much anyway.  Come summer: prep it, store it and see ya next winter.

Bottom line (for me): probably almost anything will go through soft snow, but if you need to blow hard snow, get a tracked model.  I love my HS928TCD , and I imagine the new Yamahas and perhaps other tracked models (ie Ariens, but no hydrostatic drive) would work as well.

Replies: 6 - 15 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
njal

Re: Wheels vs Tracks and a Honda HS928TCD
Reply #6   Jan 20, 2011 9:25 pm
Dr.woof good luck with your new Honda.

You made a good choice on your snowblower.

njal

Reply #7   Jan 20, 2011 9:28 pm
Paul7 wrote:
I wonder where the sweet spot ends with tracks and maneuverability.   I mean it sounds like an in-shape 40 year old man would have no problems with tracks.  But would you recommend tracks to someone who's more advanced in years?  So lets say someone in their late fiftys...with the machine built to last 20 to 25 years,  would they still be able to handle it when they're in their seventies?

Hi Paul  this old guy is 56 ,neck surgery last year and two back

surgeries in the last 10 years,and I still man handle my machine.

kderobertis

Reply #8   Jan 20, 2011 10:00 pm
I received my Honda HS928TA in September and I wouldn't trade it for a wheeled version if I had to do it all over again.

This machine rocks and makes blowing snow fun again!

Ken

FrankMA

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2011 10:02 am
Dr_Woof wrote:
Seen a lot of questions and comments on this so I'll just post my 2 cents worth.  We get a lot of HARD blown in snow around here.  Just bought a Honda HS928TCD (tracks) and I think it's night and day compared to two other wheel types I have used.  Yes, the Honda is (only slightly) harder to make a turn at the end of the line, but this is very much more than compensated for by not having to fight the blower through the first 200 yards of hard snow to get to the turn.  The Honda just pushes ahead and and is very easy to steer.

The hydrostatic drive on the Honda is good to have.  It shifts on the fly (no declutching) to adjust to any speed required do get the job done right.  The electric chute controls are wonderful - don't seem to have a problem freezing up.  When looking to buy, I found the manual chute controls on Hondas sturdily built but a bit hard to turn compared to others.  Electric....good.  WIsh the Honda had heated grips (it's -36 C here today!).

When going through lots of harder snow, the Honda engine is obviously working harder.  I compensate by slowing down forward speed or taking a partial cut - no sense in putting undue stress on the new guy, but I suppose it's only logical that more snow to move equals harder work for the engine.

The two wheelies took a lot of muscle for the hard snow - almost woulda been easier to shovel it.  My old wheelie (JD 826 with chains and "summer" tires) went thru but slowly and with difficulty and lots of muscle required.  The other new wheelie (since returned to dealer), equipped with "snow hog" type tires simply refused to touch the stuff.  I looked into getting chains for the snow hogs, but most dealers, even those that sold chains made expressly for the snow hogs, said they didn't help much (one said they made things worse!).

The Honda tracker is definitely more difficult to handle than a wheelie when in the garage on dry concrete, but I can live with that.  Maybe the suggestion of putting it on a creeper would help, but I just don't have to move it around there much anyway.  Come summer: prep it, store it and see ya next winter.

Bottom line (for me): probably almost anything will go through soft snow, but if you need to blow hard snow, get a tracked model.  I love my HS928TCD , and I imagine the new Yamahas and perhaps other tracked models (ie Ariens, but no hydrostatic drive) would work as well.

You touched upon many of the same points that I discovered when I went from a Honda HS624WA wheeled model to my new to me Honda HS928TA track model. I wish we had the option of the TCD model you guys up in CA have but I guess Honda feels we lowly Americans are not worthy :)   I did a comparative review of both in late December/early January after using my HS928TA for the first couple of times. I've always enjoyed using the hydrostaitc tranny and to be honest was very apprehensive of buying a track drive model after hearing/reading all the horror stories about the "difficulties" of a track drive snowblower. Technique (IMO) is the key to ease of use with the track drive and once this is realized, manuvering becomes just a tad more difficult than a wheel drive model. Traction is superior in every situation you described and in my case going from a 6 HP to a 9 HP was an incredible step up in performance, especially on the EOD and heavy, wet snow.

I too love my HS928TA but would hope that some day Honda (and Yamaha for that matter) wake up and realize the missed opportunity of not offering the higher end models that are available north of the border. Good luck with your new machine!

This message was modified Jan 21, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Reply #10   Jan 21, 2011 11:28 am
I will take a wheeled snowblower any day over a track system. A good set of Snow-Hog tires provides excellent traction and the Snowblower can be moved around with the engine off. Nothing worse then running an engine in a closed area. Oh did I also mention the wheels are much cheaper.

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
tkrotchko

Reply #11   Jan 21, 2011 2:42 pm
FrankMA:

I don't think the differences between the TAS and TCD models in the Honda line represent a significant upgrade. After looking at the specs, basically it looks like the TCD model adds power adjustment auger height and chute instead of manual, and it also offers onboard battery starter. Honda does offer significant upgrades to their line, but when I look, I don't see them offered much outside of Japan itself, and remember that those upgraded models are $6,000 and up. I don't think the market for a machine like that is significant.

Edgenet:

The tracked models are definitely harder to move without power and they do cost more, but I think running an engine in a garage for a minute while you move it isn't really much of a risk. But to each their own.
FrankMA

Reply #12   Jan 21, 2011 3:02 pm
tkrotchko: I thought the TCD models had some sort of gas assisted 3 position height adjuster rather than the manual foot pedal like my TA model? I definitely like the joy stick controller for the chute rotation and deflection.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #13   Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm
The TCD models have an infinitely adjustable heigth adjustment controlled by a lever on the right handlebar which actuates a gas strut  They have a 12 volt battery, electrical joystick chute control (rotation and heigth) , and are equipped with a headlight.  Mine came with both side and rear mounted bucket skids and was already set up with the carbureter anit-icing shield..

FrankMA

Reply #14   Jan 21, 2011 5:45 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
The TCD models have an infinitely adjustable heigth adjustment controlled by a lever on the right handlebar which actuates a gas strut  They have a 12 volt battery, electrical joystick chute control (rotation and heigth) , and are equipped with a headlight.  Mine came with both side and rear mounted bucket skids and was already set up with the carbureter anit-icing shield..

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm jealous.....: )

Bill_H

Reply #15   Jan 21, 2011 6:00 pm
tkrotchko wrote:
The tracked models are definitely harder to move without power and they do cost more, but I think running an engine in a garage for a minute while you move it isn't really much of a risk. But to each their own.

Maybe Hondas are, but my trigger release (one for each side) Yard Man isn't hard to move at all.

Agree that running an engine long enough to move something isn't a problem, especially if the doors are open. I have to open ALL the doors in my garage to even start an engine because it sets off the smoke detectors.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 6 - 15 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42