Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > JD 1130SE auger belt turns over then comes off-HELP-Only about 10hours on machine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gary12

JD 1130SE auger belt turns over then comes off-HELP-Only about 10hours on machine
Original Message   Jan 16, 2011 8:13 am
Bought the machine late 2008 but had little snowfall 2008 and 2009. All was fine until this year . About the 3rd time I used it the auger belt came off. Put it on, looked for cause, moved the belt guide closer,but came off again. It appears the belt first turns inside out on the pulleys then jumps off. One thing I noticed is that the engine drive pulley and auger drive pulley are not in the same plane. When I put a strait edge on both outside edges of one pulley and extend the strait edge to the other pulley it appears one of the pulleys would need to be tilted a little to get alignment. Not sure if this is causal but if it is I am not sure how to correct other than shimming one side of the engine to tilt it.Any suggestions. A search of this site does not seem to indicate this is a common issue.
Gary
Replies: 3 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
ccginmn

Re: JD 1130SE auger belt turns over then comes off-HELP-Only about 10hours on machine
Reply #3   Jan 18, 2011 2:28 pm
I just sent my 1130 back to Scharber & Sons with the exact same issue.  My blower was also purchased in '08 and I am lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) that this happened right before my warranty ran out.  I love this blower when it is working.  Unfourtunately it has spend the majority of it's winter life at Scharber & Sons repair shop -this is the 5th time I've sent it in for repairs.  My problems to date:

1.  Primer cap fell off of the underside of gas cap and blocked the fuel line.

2.  Water got on the disk and the blower wouldn't engauge the wheels.  They fixed it with a gasket that was the 1st recall.

3.  Water got onto the disk drive again and the wheels wouldn't engauge.  They fixed it with a 2nd gasket and somekind of sheet seal under the engine (2nd recall).

4.  Gas got into the piston/carburetor and seized up the engine.

5.  Belt came off the auger assembly - I'm guessing a shaft or wheel is bent.  I'll let you know when i get it back from the shop.

That being said, my neighbor just  bought a brand new 28" Arens and only one of his wheels engauges so he had to take his back.  I'm beginning to loose faith in American products...

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Re: JD 1130SE auger belt turns over then comes off-HELP-Only about 10hours on machine
Reply #4   Jan 18, 2011 3:18 pm
Tell your neighbor to check the pin lock on his wheel before making the trip.

Catt

Reply #5   Jan 18, 2011 3:18 pm
ccginmn wrote:
I just sent my 1130 back to Scharber & Sons with the exact same issue.  My blower was also purchased in '08 and I am lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) that this happened right before my warranty ran out.  I love this blower when it is working.  Unfourtunately it has spend the majority of it's winter life at Scharber & Sons repair shop -this is the 5th time I've sent it in for repairs.  My problems to date:

1.  Primer cap fell off of the underside of gas cap and blocked the fuel line.

2.  Water got on the disk and the blower wouldn't engauge the wheels.  They fixed it with a gasket that was the 1st recall.

3.  Water got onto the disk drive again and the wheels wouldn't engauge.  They fixed it with a 2nd gasket and somekind of sheet seal under the engine (2nd recall).

4.  Gas got into the piston/carburetor and seized up the engine.

5.  Belt came off the auger assembly - I'm guessing a shaft or wheel is bent.  I'll let you know when i get it back from the shop.

That being said, my neighbor just  bought a brand new 28" Arens and only one of his wheels engauges so he had to take his back.  I'm beginning to loose faith in American products...

ccginmn,
I have both an 1130 and 1330 and have been lucky so far.  Well the 1130 needed sealing and after that it's been fine.  I never had the gasket put under the engine mounting bracket on the 1130 and I wonder if it could have been misaligned during that process. Let us know what you find.
Catt

Reply #6   Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm
Beyond the engine pulley not being in the same plane as the pulley below it could also be possible the engine is not straight on the mounting plate.  I'd make sure the engine is not slightly twisted on the mounting plate or if it's sitting higher or lower on the crankshaft end.  I suppose the idler pulley could also cause a problem if it isn't straight.   I can't think of anything else that might cause this.
kevivoe

Reply #7   Jan 19, 2011 10:44 am
I have a new JD 1330SE and the drive belt came off after 2 hours use. It turns out the bolt holding the auger and drive pulley was lose and out about 1/2 inch. I tightened it down (need 2 wrenches) and re-installed the belts. It appears to be working now.

I would say this bolt holding the auger and drive bely pulleys was not tightened at the factory.

gary12

Reply #8   Feb 5, 2011 11:40 am
The only thing I can figure is the pulleys are misaglined and as it is used the belt had undue pressure on one side causing it to wear unevenly. I aligned the pulleys by moving the big lower pulley . Had to move it about a 1/4" and replaced the belt with a kevlar replacement . I really won,t know until I get some hours on it
Gary
Replies: 3 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42